Heaven of Hell ... Hell of Heaven




“The mind is its own place, and in it self
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.”

~John Milton, Paradise Lost


I have been lost in the labyrinthine recesses of my own mind lately listening to the cacophony of hounding thoughts. Trapped by the inability to halt the ever present nagging of my racing psyche, I have ineffectively searched for a quiet mental corner where I could hide amid the static calm of incessant white noise … the sound of a roaring waterfall or the crashing of ocean waves on an unnamed shore.

“A thick, black cloud swirled before my eyes, and my mind told me that in this cloud, unseen as yet, but about to spring out upon my appalled senses, lurked all that was vaguely horrible, all that was monstrous and inconceivably wicked in the universe. Vague shapes swirled and swam amid the dark cloud-bank, each a menace and a warning of something coming, the advent of some unspeakable dweller upon the threshold, whose very shadow would blast my soul.” ~Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Adventure of the Devil’s Foot

9 comments:

  1. I hope you find the peace that you seek, Beth. :)

    My own (the eternal holy grail perhaps?) also eludes me still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the worst, isn't it? It's like very now and then, your brain just needs to go over any and everything it's ever thought up to this point in your life. And it has to do it at a dizzying speed. The only thing you can do is hang on for the ride. Here's hoping your synapses tire soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. um, how does one transfer valid hugs through the internet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. mo ~ Working on it ... thanks!

    bg ~ My mind is a constant roller-coaster. All I seem to do is hang un.

    davo ~(((hugs))) Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read peoples names have a lot to do with personalities. I was amazed with your writing, likes, dislikes, qwipes and quotes and how much we have in common. I discovered your site while searching the John Milton quote from Paridise Lost. I am Elizabeth Simpson Shepard on FB @ beth0457@sbcglobal.net
    Another Beth TX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too stumbled across your blog while searching for the Milton quote. Thought I'd put it in my own blog...I am trying to find a way to be more truthful in the blog about the fact that I quite often feel like complete crap ( today for example) - tho my blog suggests a dream life full of delight... which it also is on other days...

    Here's another old (Buddhist) favourite, quoted by Sogyal Rinpoche


    Rest in natural great peace this exhausted mind,
    Beaten helpless by karma and neurotic thoughts
    Like the relentless fury of the pounding waves
    In the infinite ocean of samsara.
    Rest in natural great peace.

    —  Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh dear, I have just noticed that this post is nearly three years old...I got all excited, it looked so promising...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Start and end your day with something positive, encouraging, empowering and inspiring at www.liteplanet.org

    ReplyDelete
  9. How old are you? Young, I think. Get ready for a lifetime of what you describe, because that is what life is. You'll never get a final answer. And that is a good thing, not a bad, though it can be ... annoying. Read this 30 years from now.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin