Balls In My Face




“Most of us have trouble juggling. The woman who says she doesn't is someone whom I admire but have never met.” ~Barbara Walters

Juggling. Multitasking. Call it what you will. I am a master. I have so many balls up in the air simultaneously that it is almost too difficult to see where to put one foot in front of the other. Still, I’m managing to stay balanced. I realize that I should probably consolidate, but if I do that they become too painfully heavy to keep elevated and I can not afford to lose my balance.


“I'm happy when I'm juggling, but I feel like I've gone from, like, 3 balls to 10 bowling balls. But, that's a good problem. I don't really have a complaint about that.” ~Kirstie Alley (Author note: I’d be complaining. Keep reading for my perspective to juggling bowling balls.)

Most people are carrying around a few balls: work, home, etc. I can’t do that. Those labels are too broad and they often change. Each regular or ‘normal’ ball that I used to juggle seems to have given birth to babies based on my obsession with giving individual items their due attention. Baby balls. Whew! Just like any infant … baby balls are demanding.

Home has given birth to: My kids (Big K & Little K), Money, Car, Bills, Chores, etc. The fun part about this area of life is that each one of the baby balls has giving birth to multiple grandbaby balls. Fun times!

Work bears forth multiple versions of itself at any given moment along with all the variables: Money, Boss, Coworkers, Insurance, Clients, etc. Work can also change to Career, but right now it is just Work. (Unfortunately, I also have coworkers who feel it necessary to bring their personal lives into the workplace on a daily basis and often throw … no, force their own balls right in my face. Bloody Hell! I’m already juggling my own issues. Take your ball back!)

The Friend ball is in a perpetual state of delivery and might as well just keep its legs thrown up in the stirrups. Friendships are high maintenance especially when, like me, you don’t have an “inner circle” but spend time constantly fostering friendships new and old. It’s never-ending. Oh! Let’s not forget that this year Friends gave birth to Reunion. I’m still not sure who was juggling that ball when I reached out and snatched it away. I don’t know why I took it for myself because it is damn heavy. I must have dropped my sanity ball and grabbed something else as a replacement. Whoever had it to begin with must be pretty relieved.

“I've got all of these little balls up in the air. And if somebody else caught one for me, I'd drop them all.” ~One Fine Day, Film (1996)

Right now, believe it or not, I am doing a fabulous job at keeping them all up in the air because they are all of a manageable size. Yes, there seem to be hundreds of them, but I’d rather juggle a hundred baby balls than a few bowling balls. If I consolidate all of the Home balls into one then it does, indeed, become a regulation size sixteen pound bowling ball …. as would Work and Friends and Health and every other mother ball that I have with me all the time. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a pretty stout girl and can carry a lot of weight around, but I don’t want to juggle bowling balls.

Do I need help? Nope! Right now I’m good. Thanks. If I let go of one or if someone reaches out and takes just one little ball … I’ll drop each and every one of them. Not only will I drop them, but I will step on all the balls that have hit the ground and I’m sure the visual image would rival that of a hippopotamus on roller-skates. Right now, I can not afford to be off balance – let alone fall.

“Imagine life is a game in which you are juggling five balls. The balls are called work, family, health, friends and integrity. And you’re keeping them in the air. But one day you finally come to the understanding that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. The other four balls- family, health, friends and integrity- are made of glass. If you drop one of these, it will be irrevocably scuffed, nicked, perhaps even shattered. And once you truly understand the lessons of the five balls, you have the beginnings of balance in your life.” ~James Patterson, Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've started blogging on here. I was sad to leave the blogs of myspace behind, but now I don't have to! I have to admit that I do more blog lurking lately than actual entries of my own. I'll be happy to add yours to the list of sites I peek in upon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be honored if you peek in from time to time!

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin