Bloody Effing Hell




Yes, that was my initial reaction to the following article that I read this morning:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071126/lf_nm/kenya_sextourism_dc.

I am currently racking my appalled mind for profanity free words to express how I feel about the women mentioned in this article and yet all I can come up with is, “Are you out of your effing minds?”

“Earth has its boundaries, but human stupidity is limitless.” ~Gustave Flaubert

If you have not taken the time to click on the link above and follow it to the full story, I am having issues with the fact that older white (presumably European and American) women are traveling to Kenya with the express purpose of “picking up” younger Kenyan men.

Call me a prude. I am bloody well pissed off so I don't care right now.

I grew up in Kenya … and yes, I am white. Personally, I don’t think that matters. These women guilty of preying upon young Kenyan men while on holiday could be purple or green for all I care. It isn’t about race. It’s about wealth.

“As covetousness is the root of all evil, so poverty is, I believe, the worst of all snares.” ~Daniel Defoe, Moll Flanders

My first concern should be an obvious one: AIDS. Let us put aside all other health implications and focus on the fact that “25 of the 34 million people infected with AIDS worldwide live in Africa (http://www.kaippg.org).” The AIDS epidemic on the African continent has taken a prominent place in all media outlets worldwide. You can not escape knowing what is going on there. How could you honestly make the choice to go to Africa for sex? If you are going to be promiscuous and threaten your own life … why not do it on your own home court instead of making an already growing problem worse?

“It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance.” ~Elizabeth Taylor

Secondly … these women need to take a long hard look at the type of lifestyle they are creating. As long as they continue to flaunt their wealth by picking up a Kenyan man and supporting him financially by purchasing clothing and food and allowing him to live in their hotel room with them than they are exacerbating a growing problem regarding work ethic. Why bother going out and getting a job to support yourself when you can just pimp yourself out? I am positive the same phenomenon is happening in the reverse. There have been too many stunning Kenyan women to cross my path without me knowing that they, too, are being preyed upon by visiting tourists.

I would love to see some statistics on how this issue is affecting the AIDS rate in developed countries as well as how the Kenyan economy is being altered with the rise of an entire generation willing to sell themselves as opposed to taking advantage of the growing educational and employment opportunities in the country.

“To get rich never risk your health.” ~Richard Baker

Fact: Kenya needs tourism. Financially, the country would not survive without it. What Kenya does not need is an entire demographic of westerners waltzing into their country and glamorizing those individuals who choose to prostitute themselves.

“I believe all suffering is caused by ignorance. People inflict pain on others in the selfish pursuit of their happiness or satisfaction. Yet true happiness comes from a sense of peace and contentment” ~Dalai Lama

“For we pay a price for everything we get or take in this world; and although ambitions are well worth having, they are not to be cheaply won, but exact their dues of work and self-denial, anxiety and discouragement.” ~Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

1 comment:

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin