Can We Just Skip It?



"Thanksgiving Day comes, by statute, once a year; to the honest man it comes as frequently as the heart o gratitude will allow." ~Edward Sandford Martin

I hate turkey. It's true. Well, maybe 'hate' is too strong a word, but turkey is not my favorite food by any stretch of the imagination which is why the annual celebration of Thanksgiving is the one day of the year I find myself as close as I will ever get to becoming a vegetarian. I have to admit, two years ago I had my first taste of a deep fried turkey. I will probably never eat roasted or smoked turkey again. I know I haven't since. What's sad about my dislike of the gobbler is that it would make my weight loss goals infinitely easier if I were to consume turkey as my protein each day instead of, well, the red meat that I love.

Can't we just skip Thanksgiving?

Turkey meat aside, I think it's ludicrous that we have a holiday intended to remind us to be thankful. Only in America. Everyone in this country needs to be shipped to a 3rd world country for just 48 hours and bear witness to the sick, poor, and homeless who COUNT THEIR MEAGER BLESSINGS EVERY DAY. Don't you have more than they do? Be thankful! Do you have your health? Be thankful. Do you live in a country where your freedom is respected? Be thankful.

Not only do we all need to be more thankful . . . we need to be thankful every single day.

"Let us be thankful for fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." ~Mark Twain

As for the turkey, well, give it a reprieve similar to that of the Annual Presidential Turkey Pardon (another stupid tradition) or, if said bird has already been introduced to the butcher, give it away to someone who needs it more than you. "Why?" You ask. I shouldn't have to tell you. Maybe, just maybe, that person needs something for which to give thanks.

And so - here are a few things for which I give thanks each day. Why is it we all feel the necessity to make this list each and every November?

"The worst moment for the atheist is when he is really thankful and has nobody to thank." ~Dante Gabriel Rossetti

♥My children (I have the greatest kids on the planet and I tell them how fantastic they are every day . . . so they may not be incredibly modest.)
♥My parents who are simply amazing .
♥My friends - of which there are many, many, many more than I had thought and I am beginning to rediscover them . . . as well as the power bond of friendship.
♥Faith, Hope & Love
♥My job and a most incredible boss (I am bored, but I am thankful!)
♥My 45lb. weight loss (to date)
♥Coffee (nectar of the gods)
♥Music in all of its glorious stages of evolution
♥The Written Word (Books . . . people! Books!)

So . . . be thankful, appreciative, beholden, content, grateful, indebted, much obliged, satisfied, at ease, serene and happy. Tell someone! Share!

"Gratitude is our most direct line to God and the angels. If we take the time, no matter how crazy and troubled we feel, we can find something to be thankful for." ~Terry Lynn Taylor

Reprinted & revised from the original post composed one year ago, this particular rant of mine always invokes strong reactions from those who read it. My response? Get over it!


5 comments:

  1. I very much like your quote from DG Rossetti. I am not exactly an atheist but I can do perfectly well without God. I am thankful nevertheless. I pray nevertheless. I have a theory that thanksgiving and prayer are somehow inbuilt, hardwired if you will and so we invented God as an explanation.

    I don't however have a theory as to why thanksgiving and prayer are inbuilt. Yes, it seems stupid to do it on one day in a year. But then I have spent most of my life in England, where on one day of the year we celebrate the execution of a terrorist called Guy Fawkes, burnt at the stake for attempting to blow up the houses of Parliament in 1605. The government of the time encouraged this celebration as a political act, pro-Protestant and anti-Catholic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly enough, I ... even as a Christian ... have wondered why "thanksgiving and prayer are inbuilt."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, good. I tend to think that we are as we are because of evolution. Don't think I have a religion of worshipping science though.

    It seems to me that if you are oppressed or enslaved - and many of our ancestors were - then prayer and thanksgiving would have developed as ways to smooth out the ups and downs. How do our prayers get answered? I don't find that Christianity has an answer even though I do like Luke Chapter 11.

    Nice to meet you by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it interesting that you mention Luke 11 which begins with instruction on prayer. Hmmm?

    How do our prayers get answered? Faith. There is no scientific explanation. Prayer helps us narrow down and affirm what we really want and need out of life. Like a true parent, if God handed us absolutely everything we could ever want ... how would we grow?

    It is a pleasure meeting you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for response Beth, I tend to agree with it!

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin