Confession of a Hopeless Film Romantic




"A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony, in a moment." ~Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Alright. I admit it. I’m a hopeless romantic. I’m not sure how or when it happened, but it did. Could it be that my recent divorce and foray into my thirties has somehow heightened my sense of romance? Perhaps. I have always been an avid reader and firmly believe that Pride and Prejudice (as cliché as that is) by Jane Austen is the perfect book. I do so want my own Mr. Darcy. However, my inner tomboy often balks at my romantic tendencies and my new obsession with all things romantic has her screaming at me on a regular basis.

My renewed interest into matters of the heart is accented most recently in my current film choices. For those who do not know me as well as others: I am an avid moviegoer. Yet, shamelessly I can not count how many times I have, late at night after my children are sleeping peacefully, watched the following films over and over and over again in the last six months:

Pride and Prejudice (1995)
Colin Firth, in my mind, will always be Mr. Darcy. Don’t argue. You will not win.

Phantom of the Opera (2004)
‘All I Ask Of You’ is still my love song of choice though I highly doubt I will find a man willing or able to sing it to me and you most definitely do not want to hear me attempt the female half of that particular duet.

Hope Floats (1998)
What girl doesn’t think back to that one boy from some memorable period of her life? Why wouldn’t you, post divorce, want to be pursued and loved by an amazing man who loves you as you are … faults and all?

Ever After (1998)
Cinderella. Hot prince portrayed by Scotsman Dougray Scott. I rest my case.

Bend It Like Beckham (2002)
Love story + football. My tomboy quits yelling at me when I watch this one.

Love Actually (2003)
Comprised of eight amazing storylines, this movie is the pinnacle. Not to mention, it is an English film and I enjoy their filmmaking greatly.

There are many others that I would watch repeatedly if I had them on DVD. 'Casablanca' is one that comes to mind. And yet, I feel slight redemption because there are movies that are considered quintessential “chick flicks” that make me cringe and I will go to great lengths to never be forced to watch any of them ever again. Here are just a few:

Steel Magnolias (1989)
I have no words. Wait! Yes, I do: bad … southern … accents.

Beaches (1988)
I would rather endure some form of torture.

Pretty Woman (1990)
Great! Let’s teach all our daughters that it is acceptable to runaway to Hollywood and become “ladies of the night” because some rich dude will eventually come your way and rescue you. Yeah! That movie took fairy tales to an all-time low.

Thelma & Louise (1991)
This movie improved remarkably when they drove off a cliff. Oh, wait – that left only the credits. Not even Brad Pitt’s amazing ass can fix this film or make it worth watching. Screw girl power.

Gone With The Wind (1939)
Go ahead. Riot. Write me hate mail. I don’t care. While you do that – I’m going to go watch ‘Die Hard.’

The Notebook (2004)
I swear I am the only female on the planet who never wants to see this movie again. Yes, it is romantic but once was enough. My ex-husband bought the DVD for me (when we were still married). I gave it away. That tells you how well he really knew me, doesn’t it?

So, here I am: single and hopelessly romantic. At least I am not burying myself in every romantic piece of crap film on the planet. Confession over. I am now going to go read Pride and Prejudice for the fourth time this year.


Cheers!

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspision love actually is all around." ~Love Actually (2003)

2 comments:

  1. I am in agreement with you on almost all of these...I am an unabashed fan of good romantic movies (while knowing that good ones are few and far between.) I love Love, Actually more and more each time I watch it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post... I can see that you put a lot of hard work on your blog. I'm sure I'd visit here more often. George from romantic films.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin