Go Home & Cook For Your Family!!!


I made it fairly plain how I feel about Thanksgiving in my post ‘Can We Just Skip It?’ and yet I find myself completely disgruntled this holiday as I glance around the lodge at the wall-to-wall people who have arrived to sample our Thanksgiving buffet.

“Thanksgiving is a typically American holiday… The lavish meal is a symbol of the fact that abundant consumption is the result and reward of production.” ~Ayn Rand

Obviously all of these random people have managed to take time off work. They don’t want to be at work on a holiday. They don’t want any of their family members to be at work on a holiday. There are mobs of people mingling about laughing and talking and reuniting without giving second thought to the individuals who are currently making their stay here
as pleasant as possible. Do they feel guilty for causing a large number of working class people to miss Thanksgiving with their own families? Nope. That is a pretty obvious fact or they would not be here.

“O, how full of briers is this working-day world!” ~ William Shakespeare, As You Like It

Can these people who have invaded my workplace not cook for themselves? It is funny because, while I am not fond of the holiday, last year at my mom and dad’s place I ended up preparing the bulk of the traditional holiday meal. While prepping the turkey bright and early that morning my mother glanced at me inquisitively and ventured forth with a question, “Where did you learn how to do that? I know I didn’t teach you how to do that.” She’s right. She didn’t. I looked up with a smile and simply replied, “Food Network, mom! Food Network!” I spoke in jest, but it is amazing what you can learn from that wonderful cable network. All of these strangers have no excuse. They need to all go home and stress over Thanksgiving dinner like everyone else does.

“Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.” ~Harriet Van Horne

To those individuals, like me, who find themselves alone this holiday … “I forgive you and understand your need to not sit at home alone.” This would be my reason for working, but I had the choice. Many employees here were required to work the holiday.

“There is nothing like employment, active indispensable employment, for relieving sorrow.” ~Jane Austen, Mansfield Park

To all of those persons who choose to go out for Thanksgiving and force someone else to work on your behalf I say, “Have some consideration! Go home and cook for your family!!”

2 comments:

  1. thank-you for stopping by and eaving your comment. it seems we both have a passion for words - our own words, and the words of others...
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Beth. When i use to work (quite awhile ago now)...I always worked on Thanksgiving Day. I was a waitress and I didn't mind at all. Serving people was were i felt at home, and it felt good.

    Happy Holidays (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin