I Stand Amazed




"I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs, and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music." ~George Eliot, The Mill on the Floss

I’ve always had music in my house. It was not something that I experienced while growing up (Trust me, you don’t want to hear either my mother or father sing.), except in church, but I love music so I have made sure my children were exposed to all types of music from a young age. My oldest child (Big K) in particular has been musically inclined since about the age of three. In regard to what he has naturally inherited … I can claim no part. I play the piano and quite poorly at that. My ex-husband, on the other hand, has passed down to my child a decent tenor voice.

“Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere.” ~Ratatouille, Film (2007)

A month ago my child attended the all-region junior high choir tryouts for the southwest portion of the state (Arkansas). He called from tryouts to inform me that he had made 4th chair tenor. Of course, I was proud but having never been involved in choir I did not fully comprehend what my child was telling me … until tonight.

“Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself . . .” ~Samuel Butler, The Way of All Flesh

I attended Big K's all-region choir performance tonight and must confess that my child has amazed me yet again. He didn’t just make 4th chair tenor. He made 4th chair 1ST TENOR! In my musical ignorance, I had not realized there was a difference. There were 165 7th and 8th graders in the all-region choir and my child was the ONLY BOY from his junior high to even make the choir … let alone creeping that close to first chair.

I know I’m bragging. It is my prerogative … parental pride. I am astounded at the gift God has given my child and how I was completely unaware of how gifted he is in comparison to others his age. I stand amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin