PC Dependency




"Computing is not about computers any more. It is about living." ~Nicholas Negroponte

What is a monetarily challenged compulsive writer to do when the home computer takes its last breath and begs to be taken to the PC cemetery?

The obvious solution is to take up paper and pen and do it the old-fashioned way, right? Well, what you don’t realize is that I already do that too. I have notebooks full of my scribbling and musings … lots and lots of writing penned by hand.

"One writes to make a home for oneself, on paper, in time and in others' minds." ~Alfred Kazin

Composing via computer allows me a certain freedom that I don’t experience with hand-written script. When I am typing, I find that I do not have time to stop and edit because I type at such a speed that I can truly allow the stream of consciousness to flow from my mind and onto the screen with minimal interruption. Yes, I do read back through what I have written and make small edits here and there, but when I’m writing longhand I stop myself practically every sentence and there is just no finishing anything while going at that pace.

I need my computer. I want my computer. I’m getting just a wee bit twitchy at not having it around. Well, it’s still there … sitting on my 'drafting table converted to desk' mocking me in its current non-functioning state and my brotherly unit in Kansas City who is trained in PC repair and programming and the like doesn’t seem able to help me nurse said unit back to health from such a distance. “Reboot,” I’m told. Bull-crap! Do you know how many times I have rebooted already? I’m not that stupid! I don’t even have the ‘Blue Screen of Death’ because I can’t even get that far in the boot up process … at least that would give me a reference point. Thanks, dear brother, for not even attempting to guess what may be wrong. You were a lot of help.

"Windows NT Crashed.
I am the Blue Screen of Death.
No one hears your screams."

~Peter Rothman (1998)


For now, I have the stupid thing turned off. Several months ago it had a temper tantrum of similar proportions and I cut the power and left it for a week. Magically, it repaired itself. I can only hope the same thing will occur now. I am not; I repeat “not” crossing my fingers. Such luck does not follow me about waiting to dispense its goodness.

Anyone willing to donate funds in order to help save me from this technological nightmare – please, let me know. Until then, let us all sing praises that I have a computer in my office.

“Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don’t need to be done.” ~Andy Rooney


2 comments:

  1. Hi Beth

    Yes we are living a quotable life! :)
    Love your poetry..beautiful writings, looking forward to reading more.

    Thanks,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. I agree with what you say but for me it is not the computer so much as the instant publishing that does it for me. Recently I was without internet connection for nearly 2 months except for the nasty internet cafe. There was nothing to stop me writing word docs on my own. There was nothing to stop me working on "the book". But without that interaction, which I have become addicted to, my writing was crap and my inspiration shrivelled.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin