You might, from your appearance, be the wife of Lucifer ...




“A compliment is a gift, not to be thrown away carelessly, unless you want to hurt the giver.” ~Eleanor Hamilton

You know you have looked like total crap for an entire work week (well, 4 day work week - courtesy of Veterans Day) when you walk in the office at 0800 on Friday morning and everyone you greet says, “Wow! You look great today!”

Huh?

“Thank you!”

I guess.

Why is it people never hesitate to mention when look absolutely fabulous? And yet, no one has the gumption to look at you and exclaim, “You look like crap!”

Honestly? I didn’t think I looked so bad Tuesday through Thursday. Yes, I wore my hair up all three days. Bloody Hell! If your hair was at this stage you would wear it up a lot too. I decided to grow it back out and now I don’t know what to do with these blonde tresses. It’s not as though I appeared at work on Tuesday wearing torn sweatpants. I didn’t show up on Wednesday without a stitch of make-up. Thursday – I did shower. I promise.

“When you cannot get a compliment any other way, pay yourself one.” ~Mark Twain

Let me think! Other than the hair, each day ….

Did I wear business casual clothing that fit? CHECK!
Was I wearing makeup? CHECK, CHECK!
Did I wear appropriate footwear? CHECK, CHECK, CHECK!
Are my nails done? CHECK, CHECK, CHECK, CHECK!
Smiling? CHECK, CHECK, CHECK, CHECK, CHECK!

I’m out of categories. What more do you want from me?

“She behaves as if she was beautiful. Most American women do. It is the secret of their charm.” ~Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

I am not a vain individual. I honestly don’t walk into the office every single day of my boring office existence expecting to be complimented, but having every immediate coworker say it on the same day and within a matter of minutes does tend to raise the awareness level from green (happy in my own existence) to red (wondering how bad I must have looked the rest of the week).

I must have looked like hell.

“You might, from your appearance, be the wife of Lucifer...” ~Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities

2 comments:

  1. Cleavage is a category you missed. Was there more cleavage action on Friday? I'm sure you looked lovely all week and just looked extra good on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I come across a post like this I say "Whoops! Sorry." as you would if you are a man and by mistake you have walked through a door marked Ladies.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin