One Week Until Christmas: 15 Random Thoughts



As Christmas is rapidly approaching, I find that I am not feeling the holiday spirit like I have in years past. I fear this year I will simply celebrate vicariously through my children. I would love to blame my attitude on the weather, but seeing as I was raised on the equator with sunshine and palm trees at Christmas … well, this warmer Arkansas weather can not be held responsible for my low spirits. Somehow, someway things simply do not feel Christmas-esque this year. I am not in full “Bah! Humbug!” mode, but I am ready for it to come and go.

On that note, here are a few random thoughts that have sped through my brain today as I realized Christmas Eve is one week away.

“That which is static and repetitive is boring. That which is dynamic and random is confusing. In between lies art.” ~John A. Locke

1. Why am I the only one in my office left to deal with all the nuts who forgot to plan things in advance and now want to book Christmas parties for next week? Yeah, right. Call someone else.

2. Shopping? What shopping? I hate shopping. Of course, now I am left to scrounge through the stupid stores with the rest of the procrastinators this weekend because it still won’t happen between now and Friday.

3. Whew! I finally get some time off. Don’t look for me in the office next week. In fact, I finally get a week out of this stupid state. It isn’t like I’m going far (Missouri), but anything is better than where I am.

4. I wonder if my mom is going to try to cheat on Christmas dinner like she did with Thanksgiving last year. I am not eating prepackaged dressing or stuffing which means I will probably assume the responsibility of cooking (like I did at Thanksgiving last year). Maybe I can just get her to fix chicken curry.

5. I am totally relieved my brother, his wife and three kids will not be joining us for Christmas. That’s horrible, I know, but I don’t have the funds to shop for them this year and if they were coming I would feel compelled to buy something. Thank you, dear brother, for switching jobs and not having the vacation time to take more than two days off.

6. I don’t even have wrapping paper.

7. How long do I have to wait before taking down the pitiful little 4 ½ foot tree I put up this year … simply to appease my children?

8. I should feel bad that the boys aren’t spending Christmas with their father … and yet, I don’t.

9. New Years Eve … I should do something for New Years Eve. I can’t be sitting a home moping because the boys will be with their father. What?

10. Where is my ghost of Christmas past? I would love to be in Mombasa this week.

11. I hate candy canes.

12. I bet my parents will make us pile in the car and go stare at Christmas lights on Christmas Eve. Hmmm? Is there any way I can get out of that spectacular adventure?

13. If I hear ‘Santa Baby’ on the radio one more time between home and work … some serious road rage may be in order. Note to self: start wearing ipod while driving in vehicle to avoid potential anger management issues.

14. I wish everyone would stop baking and bringing things to the office. (I write this having just finished a huge double batch of my world famous chocolate chip cookies. Note: I don’t eat my own cookies. This is revenge!!!)

15. I abhor anything remotely resembling cold weather. It was 25 °F (-4 °C) this morning. That’s just not right … and I don’t want to hear any complaints from those of you who choose to live even farther north than me. Move!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach.” ~Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin