Virtual Gifts


"One must be poor to know the luxury of giving." ~George Eliot, Middlemarch


I have decided, after receiving a number of them this year, that I am a fan of the virtual gift. Why? Well, for one – they don’t cost any money. They also allow for a level of fancy that is not often matched by real gift giving. Inevitably, I found myself giggling my way through my gifts with much enjoyment. Facebook (Yes, I have a Facebook account.) in particular made the giving of virtual gifts easier this year with its ‘Festive Events & Gifts’ application. I received more than I gave and now I am wishing I had utilized it more fully.

Here is a run down of a few things I received … with comments from the givers and my reactions thus far. Please note: names have been withheld to protect the innocent, but you know who you are. On we go:

1. A day off
“Wouldn’t it be great if this was real? Ha! Ha! Have a great Christmas!”
This is a most excellent gift if ever I saw one; unfortunately it did not come from my boss. I took the day off anyway, in fact I took the entire week and so far it has been most relaxing.

2. Wii
There was no card enclosed, but this individual knows I have two boys who desperately want a Nintendo Wii for Christmas. If they were disappointed in not receiving a real one, they did not show their displeasure to me. Still, a practical virtual gift if ever there was one.

3. A tub of memories
“I tried to find you more time cuz you are so busy. This is as close as I could find.”
Brilliant! I love memories. Where would I be in life without them? Now I have a virtual box with which to store my treasured thoughts.

4. Date with Brad Pitt
“We are still human right! Enjoy the date; I heard he is a great kisser.”
Well, he isn’t my first choice of Hollywood celebrity but who am I to complain. Virtual or not … it’s a date and I haven’t had one all year. Sad, huh?

5. Romantic dinner with Orlando Bloom
There was no card with this one either, but I’m sensing a theme. Hmmmm?

6. Sony Vaio Notebook
“Since you have been having computer problems …”
I wish!!! Dang it!


7. Harry Potter book set (The one that comes in the chest.)
“I’m sure in real life you have this, but it made me think of you. Merry Christmas.”
Do I have the books? Hell yeah! Do I have the cool book set that comes in the treasure chest? Hell no. Do I want it? Hell yeah!

8. Beetle Diecast car
“Since you’re always complaining about the van, I thought you could use a new form of transportation.”
Providence … that’s what it is considering the van has died a miserable death and I am now in need of decent transportation.

9. Handknit Cap
“May your head always be warm! Merry Christmas, love Santa.”
Okay – so we know it didn’t come from Santa, but seeing as I hate winter and I am already tired of being cold this is a great gift for me. Not to mention, I look fabulous in hats.

There you go … a short foray into the world of the virtual gift.

"Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind." ~William Shakespeare, Hamlet

I do so enjoy my poor gifts given in friendship, love, and a wee bit of jest.

Merry Christmas!


3 comments:

  1. "it’s a date and I haven’t had one all year. Sad, huh?"


    Mixed messages here? Thought you didn't want matchmaking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - I don't. I can find them on my own ... when I'm ready. The time is drawing nearer. I haven't been in a hurry though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas 123 beff!!!!!!!! See and I was going to give you a million bucks but if you prefer virtual giving I will give it to you that way. Enjoy the Money!

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin