We are all drifting reefwards now, and faith is our only anchor ...




I, too, am adrift and feel as though I am at the mercy of a spinning compass and empty sails. Forced to stay in a place I was bound to leave, I must now drop anchor and lean on faith for my continued survival.


“But it ain’t our feelings we have to steer by through life—no, no, we’d make shipwreck mighty often if we did that. There’s only the one safe compass and we’ve got to set our course by that—what it’s right to do.” ~Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne’s House of Dreams


It is not easy to stay in a town that has never and will never feel like home. It is not easy to stay in a job that has no future or opportunity for growth. My morale is low. I beg daily for guidance and direction. I ask for prayers that will help give me the energy to keep a breeze in my sails so that I can continue my journey … even if it is voyage that does nothing but send me around and around the dinky harbor of which I currently reside.

“I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving: To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it, --but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
~Oliver Wendell Holmes, The Autocrat of the Breakfast Table

"We are all drifting reefwards now, and faith is our only anchor.”
~Bram Stoker, Dracula
(Written: August 13, 2007)

1 comment:

  1. Well, I take issue with Lucy Maud Montgomery. It is not the feelings which bring about the shipwreck, or if it were, I would be shipwrecked mighty often too. Feelings (stripped of blind conformity to outside influence) are my compass.

    "What it's right to do" sounds like conditioning. In the old days what it's right to do would be the learned values of one's family and community. Those have been shot to hell these days.

    Faith, what's right---these have been corrupted and subverted or perhaps we have moved beyond these simplicities.

    I would go by inner instinct and conscience as prime signpost, validated by reason to be safe.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin