Writer???


I was asked recently to create a wee bit of a biography about myself including what inspires me to write and what my hopes are as a writer and blah, blah, blah. While I was honored to provide this information (I will inevitably blog about why I was asked to do this … have patience.) it occurred to me that, while I write about myself all the time, I wasn’t sure how to approach a written account of me as a writer or even as a person. Self promotion does not come easy to me.


Am I a writer? Yes – No – Maybe.

I guess I am … if compulsively taking pen to paper and fingers to keyboard qualifies me as such. I consider everything I write as practice – though I can not tell you where the practice will lead. I am discovering that there are those (other than my parents) who enjoy what I write and that revelation is nothing short of astounding to me.

“Why do writers write? Because it isn't there.” ~Thomas Berger, novelist

What inspires me to write? Life.

We live in an amazing world and there is no shortage of life subjects from which to choose. I have been writing and journaling since I was a school girl. Writing is how I cope. I compose to save my own sanity. I write to make others laugh. I write … because I have no choice. It must be done. At this point, I write for me.

“You must write your first draft with your heart. You rewrite with your head. The first key to writing is to write, not to think!” ~Finding Forrester, Film (2000)

What do I write? Everything.

I have a small collection of poetry that appears to originate from the darkest of muses. Emotionally charged situations bring out my hidden poet and from that my pieces write themselves. I pay no attention to form or rhyme or meter. My various university professors would either praise me for writing from the heart or criticize me for ignoring everything I was taught.

“Like anything worth writing, it came inexplicably and without method.” ~Stranger Than Fiction, Film (2006)

I have an unfinished cheesy romance novel that I haven’t touched since 1998. The idea was good and the writing wasn’t bad, but that genre just isn’t for me … at least, not right now. Personally, I think my writing deserves better.

“If you wish to practice the art of fiction, then your horizons must be widened.” ~Becoming Jane, Film (2007)

Floating around in my head are a myriad of book ideas and even a children’s series. I have not yet determined why these brainstorms never make it onto paper (some of them are damn good too). Perhaps their time will come. For now they remain locked in my random disorganized mind.

What are my aspirations? The “P” word.

For years I kept my writing to myself, so it is with trepidation that I step into the public eye and dare to hope that one day I may manage the metamorphosis from writer to published author. Is it a dream? Yes, but I am not sure I have found my voice … yet … so I keep writing. Practice may not make perfect but it might make publishable.

Am I a writer?

“Hi! My name is Beth. I am a writer.”

Whew! That felt good.


4 comments:

  1. What is the "P" word? I never managed to get through "Becoming Jane", and to demonstrate it's not a man thing neither did my beloved. As for becoming a writer, to me that is an empty thing, relatively speaking, like becoming a typist. Especially when you look at the kind of books being published. That puts me off being anything but an amateur. I am not sure that I want to be anything, but "engineer" has a nice ring to it. And if I practise engineering on words instead of metal, that's good too.

    Is the "p" word "Prize"? Oh dear, Beth! I respected you more than that. If you are an old-fashioned true Brit, you would never admit to such an aspiration. Getting a prize would be something to shrug off as an undesired accident. And that is not just a pose, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Published, dear Vincent ... not prize. Although - is there a difference?

    I have a myriad of prizes and awards ... everything from sports to art ... and they are all in a box somewhere. At this moment I'm not even sure where that box resides. No, prizes don't mean much to me.

    I agree that there is an enormous amount of crap (note my unfinished romance novel) being published today. Admittedly, the lure of making a living off the written word (even modestly) is strong ... though not strong enough to warrant changing how or what I write.

    I don't have to become a writer. I am a writer. Published or not ... I will always be one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, you are a writer! A very impressive one at that, like Vincent, it is to do with your attitude, very impressive!

    You sound, (not your voice but your method), a bit like me, from a muse, the 'hidden poet' who springs up now and then to have the say.

    Glad to meet you Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a writer, and a good one Beth! In fact, I would love it if you were interested in writing a guest post at Thoughts On Quotes about a quote that inspires you. Let me know if you're interested - I would, of course, provide a link back here, but just thought you may want to share with some new readers. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin