Drowning out the World





pho•bi•a [foh-bee-uh]
–noun
a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.

Do you have a phobia? I do … and it frustrates me that I can not banish it.

“The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but deliverance from fear” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Right now our entire region is under a tornado watch. I am at work with my ipod on my head as I do everything in my power to drown out the world outside. I am terrified … I repeat, TERRIFIED, of thunderstorms. This is not a good phobia to have seeing as I can not control the weather and it does seem, as the definition suggests, to be completely irrational.

I know what you are thinking. I should go “see someone” about my problem. Well, I have. My therapist at the time traced this particular phobia back to an evacuation from the Gulf Coast of Mississippi that took place due to Hurricane Frederic (I think) in 1979. We were in the States that year and my parents own a home in Gulfport, Mississippi. I have strong recollections of packing quickly and beginning a drive north to avoid the storm … but my father stayed behind. To this day, I do not understand that decision, but apparently it made a huge impact on me and my childhood psyche. Twenty-nine years later and I am still shaking in my boots in the midst of this bad storm.

Does anyone else out there have an unexplainable phobia that you are willing to share?

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, Dune

6 comments:

  1. That mantra from Dune is perfect for this post!

    I don't think I have any phobias, but my neighbors from long ago had a storm phobia. It was the father that sparked it in the children. He took everyone in the basement for every storm.

    Your fear sounds like post-traumatic stress, not an unexplained phobia. You relive that anxiety from your childhood.

    Treating a storm with respect is smart, so this is a tough one. Maybe it would help to remember previous storms and that fact that you came through them fine. Try not to focus on the fear itself and give it independent life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly enough - my children love storms despite having been raised by me.

    I don't find opportunity to quote Dune often, so I was glad I could use this one. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont think mine would be classified as a phobia as its quite rational atleast to me it is - creepy crawlies especially spiders eewwww.

    Oh and mice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not fond of the spider either. Mind you though - I just kill them rapidly and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the Blog award, albeit late!

    My old cat, long gone now, had a clothes dryer phobia, my young kids put the cat in the dryer and turned it on, spun it, let the cat out quick enough (thank God!) but the cat would kill to get out of the house at just the sound of the dryer from then on...I was surprised the cat would even ever come back into the house, given those kids, lol!

    Sorry Beth, carried away!

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin