Home is not where you live, but where they understand you.

First Grade - Rosslyn



Cute, huh? I would be the one with the really blonde hair. At this age of my life I wouldn't have been caught dead in anything remotely resembling a skirt. Tomboy! I will respect the privacy of the other individuals by not naming them. Know this - I am still in contact with all three of them and it has been over 27 years since this photograph was taken.

I find myself thinking of home (Kenya) more often in recent weeks as the turmoil regarding the elections in December deepens. I am asked daily if I would return. My response? "In a heartbeat!" Yes, even with the tribal wars and 'ethnic cleansing' that is now taking place ... I would still rather be there than here. This is not my home, it just happens to be where I live right now.

"Home is not where you live, but where they understand you." ~Christian Morganstern, German author & poet

1 comment:

  1. Powerful sentiments Beth. I've always felt like home is where people love me, which is usually with family.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin