Resolution & Resignations




“An optimist stays up until midnight to see the New Year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves.” ~Bill Vaughn

It has happened: a new year … and, yet again, a new beginning. I have never quite figured out why we all make such a big deal about this event. Time resolutely progresses forward. The New Year is no different than any given day coming to an end and moving into the next one.

“The man who will not execute his resolutions when they are fresh upon him can have no hope from them afterwards; they will be dissipated, lost and perish in the hurry and scurry of the world, or sunk in the slough of indolence” ~Marie Edgeworth

Inevitably, I have been asked repeatedly on what resolution(s) I have made for 2008. That response is easy. I haven’t. I do not believe in making annual resolutions. For that matter, I am not resolute enough to make resolutions. The majority of humans on this planet are not steadfast enough to stand by their resolution(s) which is why those well intentioned but inevitably doomed goals end up shattered within a few weeks. I do have a type of mental “to do” list, but the items (eat right, work out, become more organized, etc.) on that list accompany me always. They are a piece of my daily survival and I do not add new items simply because it is January first. I add things to my “to do” list as they become important to me and carry them around with me as a continuous reminder that it is good to strive for the betterment of oneself each and every day that I continue to walk this rock.

“New Year's Day - Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual.” ~Mark Twain

I rang in my new year at a late night movie with a friend from work. We had emailed earlier in the week and were resolute in our plan. Therefore, I was in the cinema as midnight came and went without notice or fanfare. It should have been accompanied by a lot of yawning considering the late hour, but I was in the middle of an insomnia streak. This one lasted the better part of a week. Last night I finally found sleep. (I should be grateful that my insomnia does not last weeks or months as it does for some unfortunate individuals.)

It takes a couple of nights of not sleeping before I resign myself to the fact that staying in bed is doing me no good. This time it was Wednesday night and I had been attempting to sleep for well over an hour before I finally resolved to get up, brew a pot of coffee, do a bit of straightening up and some writing until morning came. I dislike giving up. I hate quitting, but sometimes resignation is inevitable regardless of how much we may dislike it.

While I may give up on my ability to sleep from time to time … I still know that my body can only take so much and nature will eventually take over for me and sleep will come. When it comes to resolutions Mother Nature will not step in and get them accomplished. I suppose my dislike of resignation is behind my flippant view of resolutions.

Here, is my list of resolutions for those of you who feel that every human must have one of some sort:

1. Do not make any resolutions.
2. Resignation is not an option.

Happy New Year!

“Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.” ~Henry David Thoreau

2 comments:

  1. I always loved what Oscar Wilde said: "Good resolutions are useless attempts to interfere with scientific laws."

    I think as human we like to neatly box things up. After all time is our concept.

    I wonder does anyone ever make bad resolutions?

    My new year starts January 12. Not that I follow the orthodox calender, you understand, simply it's my birthday. And that's the box I live in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good box: birthday to birthday.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin