Coincidence?



I set out yesterday afternoon to compose a few lines regarding contentment and happiness … recurring themes in my current disposition.

I took a break from my random scribbling to feed my children at a local restaurant. Hey! They had to eat and I desperately need a trip to the grocery. They were not complaining. Chinese food … their favorite … and following the meal came the customary pre-wrapped silly fortune cookies. I hate the things – can’t stand the taste – but always crack one open for the hell of it. My fortune?

“Stop searching forever. Happiness is just next to you.”
~Random Fortune Cookie, Panda Restaurant, 2008, Arkadelphia, AR


Crap! I had to scratch everything I had written. Stupid cookie.

“I’m thinking that sometimes you just have to make the decision to be happy. Jus realize that things aren’t ever what you hoped they’d be. Not ever. For anybody. The only thing that separates one kind of person from another is that there are some who stay angry about it and there are some who accept what comes their way.” ~Away From Her, Film (2006)

“I remember one morning getting up at dawn, there was such a sense of possibility. You know that feeling? And I remember thinking to myself, ‘This is the beginning of happiness. This is where it starts and of course there will always be more.’ It never occurred to me it wasn’t the beginning. It was happiness. It was the moment. Right then.” ~The Hours, Film (2002)

5 comments:

  1. I think I would prefer reading what you had written but subsequently scratched because of the stale wisdom of a fortune cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes well, my musings were dark and depressing about my current discontent. 'Tis odd that I let the words from the cookie fill me with conviction ... but I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too would like to read your dark musings and discontent, that is the stuff of hidden profundities, art as they say.

    But having lived, I know and will say, that there is no greater thing that one can do but live for those kids, they are everything while they are young, and so nothing to do halfway, they will be there for you later, they will return some at least, of the favor.

    I lost my moods because of my kids, my art changed therefore. Wasn't easy, but the kids came first committedly, everyone makes their own decisions.

    Ah well, nough from me, keep writing, I enjoy you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim ~ Ooooh .... You have to read the one I will post today. It is so relevant to your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very relevent Beth! Glad and priveleged to know you!

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin