Happiness is possible – even with a bottom the size of 2 bowling balls




I want that!

Want. Longing. Desire.

All of my life I have been taught to be happy with what I have; to be content with what I have been given; to be happy with the hand I've been dealt.

Lately I have felt quite guilty for wanting things that I do not have. However, I've come to realize that longing in general is not such a bad thing and it is part of human nature. There are times when the things we want are frivolous. There are times when that which we long for is necessary or even needed. Having grown up in a third world country guilt of wanting more comes easily to me. I have witnessed the struggles of those who will never have as much as I have now. And yet …

"It's just human. We all have the jungle inside of us. We all have wants and needs and desires, strange as they may seem. If you stop to think about it, we're all pretty creative, cooking up all these fantasies. It's like a kind of poetry." ~Northern Exposure, TV Show (1994)

I stumbled across a website recently: http://www.43things.com. Here, with complete anonymity one can list (I know Vincent ... I told you no more lists, but this was written prior to that declaration) the 43 things one wants the most out of life. There is even an option to have reminders emailed to you to help you keep track of your progress toward reaching the goal. The goal being getting what you want. It's an interesting site to visit and see the various things that people in our world really deem worthy of their desire.

Me? I'm an open book and I don't need the cloak of anonymity. 43 Things, huh? I bet I can come up with forty-three without much effort. Does that make me selfish? I don't think so. Not anymore. I'm just looking for a little happiness and some of these things I simply want while others are truly needed.

"I truly believe that happiness is possible, even when you are thirty-three and have a bottom the size of two bowling balls." ~Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, Film 2004

My 43 things …. In no particular order:

1) I want to raise my boys to be gentlemen. 2) I want to be able to update my wardrobe as quickly as I'm losing weight. 3) I want an actual vacation. 4) I want to have my teeth capped. 5) I want to finish my degree. 6) I want the money to hire a decent attorney. 7) I want to be loved. 8) I want a decent working vehicle. 9) I want to reach my goal weight. 10) I want to move out of Arkansas. 11) I want to stop living paycheck to paycheck. 12) I want to be able to truly smile again. 13) I want a kiss. 14) I want to own my own home. 15) I want my hair to grow out quicker. 16) I want to be able to pay college expenses for both my boys. 17) I want to actually be able to put money in a savings account each month. 18) I want to travel. 19) I want to teach. 20) I want to stop letting other people control my future. 21) I want to start drawing again. 22) I want to play field hockey. 23) I want to get my good camera repaired. 24) I want to write. 25) I want a fairy tale. 26) I want to see the northern lights. 27) I want a new computer. 28) I want my boys to see where I grew up. 29) I want to live in the present. 30) I want to protect my kids from being picked on at school. 31) I want to find a balance between what I want to do and what I need to do. 32) I want to be a better mother. 33) I want to pay off my one credit card. 34) I want to listen more and talk less. 35) I want to take more risks. 36) I want to be more organized. 37) I want to get married again … someday. 38) I want to believe in myself. 39) I want to earn my children's respect. 40) I want to kick regret in the butt. 41) I want to go on a road trip with no predetermined destination. 42) I want to pray more faithfully. 43) I want to stop worrying so much.

"A woman has got to be able to say, and not feel guilty, 'Who am I, and what do I want out of life?' She mustn't feel selfish and neurotic if she wants goals of her own, outside of husband and children." ~Betty Friedan



Originally written: July 25, 2007 - but still so applicable.

4 comments:

  1. I am going to check out that website. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well they sound very reasonable to me. Don't listen to anyone who tells you not to write lists. How dare he?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Vincent .. you are quite wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're already on your way! Knowing what you want is more than half the battle, right? The Stones said "You can't always get what you want..." Why not? I think you will!

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin