Score!



Here … at this moment … I shall expose myself for the sports geek that I am. This is a fact known to my regular readers (especially those who followed me from my prior writings on Yahoo 360 and myspace but it may come as a surprise to my new visitors. I know. Somehow, as I have aged, I do not seem to fit the typical profile of a sports junkie. What that profile may be ... I have no idea, but I have been told I do not fit it. Typical. Then again, what do people know?

You should know that I do discriminate regarding sporting events. Baseball bores the life out of me so it gets ignored … unless my youngest child (who is obsessed with the game) is up to bat or playing catcher (something he insanely volunteered to do) or chasing butterflies (no attention span) in the outfield. I would honestly rather watch a Cricket match before a Baseball game. I adore American Football (Dallas Cowboys) and Rugby (NZ All Blacks). I tolerate Basketball (San Antonio Spurs). However, I love Football (Soccer to my fellow Americans). To those of you in the United Kingdom who are reading this …. I do love Manchester United. Please, let us not argue.

So, I sit here on this crisp, cold winter day glowing with excitement as I have just purchased myself a pair of tickets to a MLS (Major League Soccer) match up between FC Dallas and LA Galaxy on May 18, 2008. I am so unbearably excited by this acquisition of mine … schoolgirl excited. Crazy! Of course, I am still single and I did buy two tickets. Optimism? I think not. I will have no trouble finding someone to accompany me from among my friends far and wide. Woo Hoo! Now … I just have to cross my fingers and pray that Becks stays healthy.

“If this can be termed the century of the common man, then soccer, of all sports, is surely his game.... In a world haunted by the hydrogen and napalm bomb, the football field is a place where sanity and hope are still left unmolested.” ~Stanley Rous, 1952

PS: My youngest child plays Soccer as well … so I forgive him for the Baseball.


5 comments:

  1. There's hope for your kid. Taylor Twellman hit .450 at Maryland, got a contract offer from the Kansas City Royals. Turned it down to play soccer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like soccer too..played baseball, hated football, too much work, now though, passive about it all, enjoy the game, tis fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hark! Who is this anonymous visitor giving me random baseball stats?

    jim ~ I wish I could say I was passive about sports. I'm not. Even with my kids ... I have to reign myself in to make sure I don't become one of "those" parents.

    vincent ~ I gave cricket a brief mention ... would watch it before baseball, but don't follow it closely enough to have a favorite team. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SPORTS!!!!!!!!! I'm allergic to that world. I think i'm developing a migraine as i read this. Gotta go. See ya.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin