AFI 100 Greatest Movie Quotes (Part II)


You came back! Wow! I’m impressed. In the words of one of the most memorable (and annoying) Oscar speeches of all time: “You like me! You really, really like me! (Sally Field, 1985)”

See? Annoying, wasn’t it?

If you are expecting a recap of #100-#75 then you will be greatly disappointed. This is not television. I have not deleted Part I. It is there in all its glory for your reading pleasure.

Without further ado (or additional random procrastination) here are the next twenty-five memorable quotes from the “AFI 100 Greatest Movie Quotes” list. I can tell you are just jittery with anticipation!

#75 – “I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.” ~Blanche DuBois, A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
We should all be able to say such a thing. Obviously, strangers are not what they used to be. The times, the times … they are a changin’. Strike that – they HAVE changed.

#74 – “Forget it, Jake. It’s Chinatown.” ~Walsh, Chinatown (1974)
What difference does that make? This is one of those borderline (okay – blatant) racist lines that instantly raise my hackles. There is a similar line in the movie ‘Sahara’ (2005): “Don’t worry. It’s Africa. Nobody cares about Africa.” What? That crap pisses me off.

#73 – “Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?” ~Cesare Enrico ‘Rico’ Bandello, Little Caesar (1930)
Huh? There is another one for the Neflix queue … and why is he referring to himself in the third person?

Random Note: For my readers who do not live in the United States … Netflix is a movie rental system in which you form a queue of movies you would like to see online and they are shipped to you from various shipping centers across the country. You get to watch your movies and return them at your leisure in the prepaid envelope. There is a flat monthly fee for the number of movies you can have “checked out” at a single time and absolutely no late return fees. It is the greatest movie rental system ever invented. I jumped on the bandwagon in the early years … even before they could afford advertising. I should have bought stock options. Stupid me.

#72 – “No wire hangers, ever!” ~Joan Crawford, Mommie Dearest (1981)
Fine, bitch! Alternate title: ‘How not to raise your children.’ I should watch this film any time I come even close to doubting my mothering skills. Although, I do so dislike wire hangers myself.

#71 – “Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain’t heard nothin’ yet!” ~Jakie Rabinowitz/Jack Robin, The Jazz Singer (1927)
You’re right, we haven’t … but we will – 53 years later when Neil Diamond will do it better.

#70 – “Is it safe?” ~Dr. Christian Szell, Marathon Man (1976)
Maybe. Possibly. Perhaps. Conceivably. Perchance.

#69 – “They’re here!” ~Carol Anne Freeling, Poltergeist (1982)
Sooooo disturbing … not the line, but the girl and the way in which she delivered the line (may she rest in peace).

#68 – “Here’s Johnny!” ~Jack Torrance, The Shining (1980)
Ugh – two creepy quotes right in a row. Is it strange they both contain the word “here?” I don’t know. Seriously though – total psychosis is evident in Jack Nicholson in this film. He played this role a little TOO well.

#67 – “Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.” ~Rick Blaine, Casablanca (1942)
C’mon Rick! Didn’t they have Murphy’s Law back in ’42? Of course she was destined to walk into your place. I have this theory. When two people have loved each other as deeply as humanly possible there is an invisible rubber band (of sorts) that attaches itself to each participant of said love affair so that, in the event they are separated by circumstances, someday (as they move farther and farther apart) they will stretch the band to maximum capacity and it will snap them back (watch out for whiplash) into each others lives for some unidentifiable purpose. This is what happened between Rick and Ilsa and it made for one hell of a movie.

#66 – “Get your stinking paw off me, you damned dirty ape!” ~George Taylor, Planet of the Apes (1968)
Oh yeah! Because, you know, all apes have … PAWS!!! Sheesh!

#65 – “Elementary, my dear Watson.” ~Sherlock Holmes, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1939)
Well earned quote. Everyone knows it. Still, I have always wondered if Watson grew weary of having his intelligence belittled and likened to that of a grade school child.

#64 – “Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!” ~President Merkin Muffley, Dr. Strangelove (1964)
The premise of the movie itself is absolutely ludicrous, but if you can’t make fun of current world issues then what else is there? Oh, and the full title of the film is, ‘Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.’ Of course, because world annihilation is funny – right? In the hands of this cast and crew … yes, yes it is.

#63 – “Mrs. Robinson, you’re trying to seduce me. Aren’t you?” ~Benjamin Braddock, The Graduate (1967)
His powers of observation are amazing aren’t they? Note to self: If I decide to attempt seducing the young business partner of my husband (the husband that I don't have) here in a few years … make sure he is painfully good-looking and in no way resemble Dustin Hoffman. At least I won't have a teenage daughter for this mythical individual to fall for.



#62 – What a dump.” ~Rosa Moline, Beyond the Forest (1949)
Am I allowed to use the quote to sum up the movie? Please, can I? “What a dump!” Indeed.

#61 – “Say ‘hello’ to my little friend.” ~Tony Montana, Scarface (1893)
Have you seen the animated film ‘Shark Tale’ (2004)? There is an absolutely hilarious play on this line involving some serious role reversals. Simply put … it is brilliant.

#60 – “Well, here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten me into!” ~Oliver, Sons of the Desert (1933)
Yeah, now get me out!! Don’t you know that the ‘Sons of the Desert’ convention is an amazing, can’t miss event that warrants lying to your wives in order to attend without detection? You must find a way to go! What are you waiting for? Go! Go! Go!

#59 – “As God is my witness, I’ll never be hungry again.” ~Scarlett O’Hara, Gone with the Win (1939)
Are you sure about that? I’m not. Let’s see – you just had breakfast. I’m thinking you are going to be hungry again in about four hours. No? I bet you will. (I can feel the angry comments coming now. How much angrier will they get when I reveal that, like the ‘Wizard of Oz,’ I can not stand this film? I’m good with the book … not the movie.)

#58 – “Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.” ~Michael Corleone, The Godfather: Part II (1974)
Here we find a quintessentially great movie quote. Why? Everyone knows this line, but most people do not realize that it comes from a film. It has become part of our every day vernacular. It is accepted as having always been … and it is extremely good advice.

#57 – “Greed, for lack of a better word, is good.” ~Gordon Gekko, Wall Street (1987)
Say it with me now: “Greed is good. Greed is good. Greed is good. Greed is good.” No. No, I am not feeling it. The term “deadly sin” keeps popping into my mind.

#56 – “A boy’s best friend is his mother.” ~Norman Bates, Psycho (1960)
Can you say “Oedipus?” Ewwwwww.

#55 – “La-dee-da, la-dee-da.” ~Annie Hall, Annie Hall (1977)
Does that really count as a quote? Really? I guess it does considering it, too, has made its way into every day language. Here is the definition from urban dictionary: ‘an expression of contempt, disinterest, or boredom, often used in the phrase, “Well la dee da” as a sarcastic “now isn’t that amazing” or “good for you.”’

#54 – “There’s no crying in baseball!” ~Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own (1992)
Ah yes … one of those moments where an entirely brilliant quote comes bursting forth from an entirely mediocre movie. Without Tom Hanks (lest we forget the urinating scene), this film would have sunk like a ton of bricks.

#53 – “One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don’t know.” ~Capt. Jeffrey T. Spaulding, Animal Crackers (1930)
I do not know either Groucho, but did you check the butter for elephant footprints? Maybe he got into your pajamas the same way he managed to get into the refrigerator.

#52 – “You had me at ‘hello.’” ~Dorothy Boyd, Jerry Maguire (1996)
‘Jerry Maguire’ is a chick flick disguised as a sports movie. It is. Still, this line is atrocious. My horror was complete when Bon Jovi wrote and titled a song by the same name (with one word altered). “You had me from hello” appeared on the album ‘Bounce’ in 2002. It is the worst single on the album.

#51 – “You’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well, do ya punk?” ~Harry Callahan, Dirty Harry (1971)
This is the epitome of the guy movie … and I love it (Hello? Tomboy!). The quote itself? Fabulous. How many other movies have you heard it in? I’d wager it has surfaced in quite a few. Why not? I'm feeling lucky.

And there we are folks – we have reached the half-way point and, amazingly, you are still here. I must now get this segment posted in order to begin work on Part III.


Cheers!

"Whatever you say, whatever you do, movies always got there first. Even that line you just said comes from a movie." ~Dot the I (2003)

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin