AFI 100 Greatest Movie Quotes (Part III)


Here we are again friends and we are about to progress past the half-way point on our quest to discover the greatest movie quotes of all time and, more importantly, my sarcastic opinions and wisecracks regarding the list.

I find that I am running out of sassy introduction material, so I will simply proceed on to the quotes themselves. Perhaps this segment will be a tad bit shorter. Hey – you can hope.

#50 – “Houston, we have a problem.” ~Jim Lovell, Apollo 13 (1995)
The great thing about this quote (and I am not being sarcastic about this entry) is that it is REAL. This is not just a movie quote. This is a documented historical remark. Cool. Too cool. Admit it (fellow Americans), you've said this one too when something wasn't going your way.

#49 – “It’s alive! It’s alive!” ~Henry Frankenstein, Frankenstein (1931)
This is another one that falls into the “you know you’ve said it” category. I know I have, but can any of us really infuse it with the crazy haired psychotic professor enthusiasm that it deserves?

#48 – “Well, nobody’s perfect.” ~Osgood Fielding III, Some Like It Hot (1959)
Speak for yourself buddy! Personally, I like “I always get the fuzzy end of the lollipop” better, but that is just me.

#47 – “Shane! Shane! Come back!” ~Joey Starrett, Shane (1953)
What does it say about a film when the most memorable line is the very last line of the movie? I don’t know either. I was hoping you could tell me.

#46 – “Oh, Jerry, don’t let’s ask for the moon. We have the stars.” ~Charlotte Vale; Now, Voyager (1942)
Jerry, don’t listen to her. You need the moon too! You know you do. I haven’t seen this movie, so I have no idea what she is talking about. I assume it is something sappy. Personally, I’m not likely to ever watch it so I shall remain ignorant on the topic.

#45 – “Stella! Hey, Stella!” ~Stanley Kowalski, A Streetcar Named Desire (19510)
Notice: this is the third quote in a row to include the proper name of one of the characters. Still, I wouldn’t mind having the delicious (at the time) Marlon Brando yell, or speak, or whisper my name. It just wouldn’t have the same ring to it though, “Beth! Hey, Beth!” Nope. It doesn’t work. Damn.

#44 – “I see dead people.” ~Cole Sear, The Sixth Sense (1999)
It has to suck when your career peaks at age eleven. Still, this movie had me completely suckered and that is rare. It was also spooky as hell. This line, delivered as it was by an amazing child actor, is probably what garnered him the Oscar nomination. Not too shabby!

#43 – “We’ll always have Paris.” ~Rick Blaine, Casablanca (1942)
Sigh. Casablanca again. Poor, heart broken Rick. Do you know why this line is so powerful? We all have Paris … or somewhere like it in our lives … a place that will be forever associated with someone from our past. Of course, “We’ll always have Paris” sounds much more poetic than, “We’ll always have Topeka” or “Warsaw” or "Fiji" or, in my case, “high school.”

#42 – “Plastics.” ~Mr. Maguire, The Graduate (1967)
“Just how do you mean that, sir?”

#41 – “We rob banks.” ~Clyde Barrow, Bonnie and Clyde (1967)
No! Really! Tell me what you really do to make a living. Duh!

#40 – “My mama always said, “Life is (was) like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.” ~Forrest Gump, Forrest Gump (1994)
Yeah, I know and I hate the boxes of chocolates that don’t have the decipher key in the lid … you know, those boxes that tell you which chocolate shape corresponds with which flavor. I don’t like not knowing what I’m biting into. That, my friends, is just nasty. If you ever buy me a box of chocolates … just buy the ones that are all coconut and dark chocolate. I’ll be much happier. As for life – that’s allowed to be unexpected.

#39 – “If you build it, he will come.” ~Shoeless Joe Jackson, Field of Dreams (1989) Who needs that much corn anyway?



#38 – “Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.” ~Lou Gehrig, The Pride of the Yankees (1942)
Hmmmm – that’s two baseball quotes right in a row. Sort of. Is this just a movie quote or is a real life quote converted to a movie quote? Anyone know the answer to this?

#37 – “I’ll be back.” ~The Terminator, The Terminator (1984)
There it is! Now all you folks who got in a snit over #76 can rest easy. Patience is a virtue!

#36 – “Badges? We ain’t got no badges! We don’t need no badges! I don’t have to show you any stinking badges!” ~Gold Hat, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
I don’t particularly care about the movie context of this quote. I do know that I have recited the line in my head every time I’ve changed jobs and had to have my photo ID taken for yet another identification badge. I have quite the collection.

#35 – “You’re gonna need a bigger boat.” ~Martin Brody, Jaws (1975)
No shit, Sherlock! Du dum, du dum, du dum ...

#34 – “You know how to whistle, don’t you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow.” ~Marie ‘Slim’ Browning, To Have and Have Not (1944)
This is another one that gets recycled quite a bit. As for the innuendo – I’m not going to go there right now.

#33 – “I’ll have what she’s having.” ~Customer, When Harry Met Sally (1989)
Indeed. As will I. Moving on.

#32 – “Round up the usual suspects.” ~Capt. Renault, Casablanca (1942)
Enough already! I love Casablanca. Yes, it is one of the greatest movies of all time – but does this quote belong here? I don’t think so. Give another movie a chance!

#31 – “After all, tomorrow is another day!” ~Scarlett O’Hara, Gone with the Wind (1939)
You better hope so sister. Ugh, this movie again.

#30 – “I want to be alone.” ~Grusinskaya, Grand Hotel (1932)
I feel cheated. This needs the rest of the quote. “I want to be alone. I think I have never been so tired in my life.” See? It needed the rest, didn’t it? We have to know WHY she wants to be alone.

#29 – “You can’t handle the truth!” ~Col. Nathan Jessep, A Few Good Men (1992)
You know that when you saw this scene for the first time in your life that you knew, without a doubt, that this quote would become one of the most memorable in movie history. I did. Too obvious. I am sure I heard it a hundred times between the theater door and the parking lot as viewers jumped right on the bandwagon and started yelling it at one another.

#28 – “Play it, Sam. Play ‘As Time Goes By.’” ~Ilsa Laszlo, A Few Good Men
This is probably the single most misquoted line in film. Never, in the course of the movie, are the words “Play it again, Sam” mentioned. So close, yet so far away. I appreciate the AFI for attempting to set everyone straight, but I echo my sentiments from #32.

#27 – “(Hey!) I’m walking here! I’m walking here!” ~’Ratso’ Rizzo, Midnight Cowboy (1969)
That’s New York City for you! Accurate, if you ask me. Of course, you didn't ask me. I simply forced my opinion on you. Tough.

#26 – “Why don’t you come up sometime and see me?” ~Lady Lou, She Done Him Wrong (1933)
Mae West is iconic. She delivers this line with a sultry sassiness that can not be ignored. I’ve been waiting for the opportune moment in which to utilize this phrase myself. Sadly, it hasn’t happened yet.

The lovely Mae West rounds out our third installment and paves the way for the top twenty-five. Trust me; you don’t want to miss this. Maybe you do, but don’t tell me. I’m happy in thinking everyone cares about what I have to say.

“That’s part of your problem, you haven’t seen enough movies. All of life’s riddles are answered in the movies.” ~Grand Canyon (1991)


3 comments:

  1. As a fan of quotes, you'll enjoy the Reel Life Wisdom site. The quotes there are more inspirational than well-known.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes ... I know. It is a site I visit regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What was actually said was "Houston we've had a problem" they changed it to make it more immediate.
    - Nerdy Bird

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin