AFI 100 Greatest Movie Quotes (Part IV)




Here we are: the top twenty-five. And, I’m sure; they will probably be the most controversial. The top of any list always is.

#25 – “Show me the money!” ~Jerry Maguire & Rod Tidwell, Jerry Maguire (1996)
Who can forget Cuba Gooding, Jr. bouncing up and down in his kitchen screaming “Show me the money!?” I know I can’t. Better yet – think of the practice it gave Tom Cruise on how to act completely inappropriate in ones environment. He must have been taking notes. Again though – you knew it when you left the theater … this quote was going to go down in history.

#24 – “I am big! It’s the pictures that got small.” ~Norma Desmond, Sunset Boulevard (1950)
I know what you are thinking. Remember that patience thing we talked about in regard to ‘The Terminator’ quotes. Yes? Good! That applies here as well.

#23 – “There’s no place like home.” ~Dorothy Gale, The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Again with this movie … she’s right though. Even if you completely despise the place – there really isn’t any place like home. Of course, you have to identify exactly what the word “home” means to you. I don’t count it as my current residence, but I think I am in the minority on that fact.

#22 – “Bond. James Bond.” ~James Bond, Dr. No (1962)
Yes, you are. Say it again.




#21 – “A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.” ~Dr. Hannibal Lecter, The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Some quotes have had too little. This one has too much. I would remove the first sentence, we don’t need it. What we need is some way to articulate the sound affect that Anthony Hopkins makes when he finishes the word “chianti” because that … that is where the genius in the delivery of the line takes place. I would have cried if this quote hadn’t made the list. It is too startling to forget.

#20 – “Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.” ~Rick Blaine, Casablanca (1942)
Apparently, Casablanca was the only film to choose from in the beginning and they filled in the rest of the list with whatever they could find! Good God! Although – this quote does deserve to be here long before #32 and #28 which, I guess, is why it is closer to the top.

#19 – “I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this anymore!” ~Howard Beale, Network (1976)
Ironically – that’s what all of you should be shouting at me right about now.

#18 – “Made it, Ma! Top of the world!” ~Arthur ‘Cody’ Jarrett, White Heat (1949)
Can we just combine this one with #100? They belong together.

#17 – “Rosebud.” ~Charles Foster Kane, Citizen Kane (1941)
Should I give it away? Should I? It amazes me that people exist in this world who do not know ‘who’ “Rosebud” is. What does it say about a film when the most memorable line is the first line of the film? I don’t know. I was hoping you (like # 47) could tell me.

#16 – “They call me Mister Tibbs!” ~Virgil Tibbs, In the Heat of the Night (1967)
You go dude! You assert your authority. Not to mention, Sidney Poitier has one of the coolest accents ever!

#15 – “E.T. phone home.” ~E.T., E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
Here is yet another beloved movie that I don’t watch. I have – long ago. I hated it. Please, don’t overload me with hate mail. This movie gave everyone in the world the ability to request to call their parents without using proper grammar. “Beth phone home.” Puuhhlleeeaaasssee!

#14 – “(What is it?)” “The stuff that dreams are made of.” ~Sam Spade, The Maltese Falcon (1941)
How many quotes did Bogart earn on this countdown? Shamelessly – I have never watched this film. I need to (must add to Neflix queue), but it will probably be a while be. Subsequently, I do not know what it is that dreams are made of. Poor me.

#13 – “Love means never having to say you’re sorry.” ~Oliver Barrett IV, Love Story (1970)
Gag!

#12 – “I love the smell of napalm in the morning.” ~Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore, Apocalypse Now (1979)
The line is good. The scene is riveting. Still, I hear this line and laugh due to a day that my youngest child (maybe 5 or 6 at the time) stuck his face down in a paper bag full of Valentine candy. In went his face. He took a long, deep inhale through his nose and the uttered, “I love the smell of candy. It smells like victory!” Huh? Wow! Yes, this is what I live with. He is crazy and I can say, as his mother, that he has never seen ‘Apocalypse Now.’ I do have to admit the resemblance was astounding and very, very humorous!

#11 – “What we’ve got here is failure to communicate.” ~Captain, Cool Hand Luke (1967)
I think Hollywood has put this line in the ongoing recycle machine as well.

#10 – “You talkin’ to me?” ~Travis Bickle, Taxi Driver (1976)
Um … yeah, I am – just like I have been talking directly to every other moron that has tried to use this line in general conversation. You are SO original.

#9 – “Fasten your seatbelts. It’s going to be a bumpy night.” ~Margo Channing, All About Eve (1950)
Have you ever been in one of those situations where a bunch of people are brought together for a party or some event and just about everyone is involved with everyone else in some form or another … you know, with dangerous strong undercurrents surrounding every syllable of conversation? That’s what is happening here. Brilliant! Bumpy night indeed!

#8 – “May the Force be with you.” ~Han Solo, Star Wars (1977)
I am a total sci-fi geek and I use this one a lot. I also use “Do or do not. There is no try. (Yoda)” It helps to be able to speak ‘Star Wars’ when raising two boys.

#7 – “All right, Mr. DeMille, I’m ready for my close-up.” ~Norma Desmond, Sunset Boulevard (1950)
See? Getting upset at #24 did you no good, now did it? I did tell you to be patient and I did know what you where thinking.

#6 – “Go ahead, make my day.” ~Harry Callahan, Sudden Impact (1983)
This is the universal mantra of every man on the planet in a bad mood. Go ahead. Give me a reason to knock your block off!

#5 – “Here’s looking at you, kid.” ~Rick Blaine, Casablanca (1942)
I know. I know. I’ve complained a lot about how many Casablanca quotes made it into this countdown … but I like this one.

#4 – “Toto, I’ve (got) a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.” ~Dorothy Gale, The Wizard of Oz (1939)
No really?! What was your first clue? Could it be that twenty minutes ago your entire world was painted in shades of gray and now it looks like the rainbow spewed all over the place?

#3 – “You don’t understand! I could’ve had class. I could’ve been a contender. I could’ve been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am.” ~Terry Malloy, On the Waterfront (1954)
No, Brando … you are no bum. Of course, the only portion of this quote I ever remember is, “I could’ve been a contender.” You too, huh?

#2 – “I’m going to make him an offer he can’t refuse.” ~Vito Corleone, The Godfather (1972)
Brando again – 18 years later, but still awesome. As for the ‘offer’ – who could refuse under such circumstances?

(Drum Roll, please …. Here is numero uno!)

#1 – “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.” ~Rhett Butler, Gone with the Wind (1939)
Are you surprised? I think not. Good line. Memorable line … and she SO deserves it.

We’re done. You never thought it would end, did you! Personally, my fingers are tired.

Whew!

“You people. If there isn’t a movie about it, it’s not worth knowing, is it?” ~Dogma (1999)

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Humphrey Bogart is in there three times! I actually know a lot of these quotes. Nice collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually - Bogart has the most quotes (5) in the top 100 (#5, #14, #20, #43 and #67). Not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.....
    I just joined Netflix; perhaps in a year I'll be able to appreciate this list more.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin