Drudgery


“The kind of commitment I find among the best performers across virtually every field is a single-minded passion for what they do, an unwavering desire for excellence in the way they think and the way they work. Genuine confidence is what launches you out of bed in the morning, and through your day with a spring in your step.” ~Jim Collins, Business Author & Theorist



Yesterday evening, while walking to my vehicle after a full day of work, I found myself looking around more than usual in an attempt to enjoy the view and remind myself that I really should not complain about where I work. I should be grateful that I am not stuck in an uninviting, dusty, generic cubicle box which, in turn, is located in a boring, drab and utterly average office building somewhere. Of course, my desk space (which comes close to resembling a box) is in an open office area with no windows. Sad, really. This means that I have to leave my office and walk through the lobby in order to enjoy the view of pristinely beautiful DeGray Lake
. Still, I often have to give myself a mental slap of a reminder that it could always be worse. I could have the “pleasure” of working here and be confined to waiting tables or housekeeping or some other form of labor I prefer to not think about. No, I have a simple position in sales that allows me the luxury of working with our guests (current and future) without having to scrub their toilet or scrape their dirty dishes.

True – this is merely a job. I like what I do, but I find I have no passion for it anymore. There was a time when working in hospitality thrilled me. I assume this was so because my wanderlust was being assuaged … even if vicariously through the individuals with whom I was working. And, there was the odd journey here or there for work related events that helped to ease that ever present craving. Now? Well, now it all seems a form of drudgery. I long to somehow find independence in my employment. How? I know not. But, the want is there. I have to find something I am monstrously passionate about and that is likely the thing that I am doing – atthisverymoment.

“Passion, it lies in all of us, sleeping... waiting... and though unwanted... unbidden... it will stir... open its jaws and howl. It speaks to us... guides us... passion rules us all, and we obey. What other choice do we have? Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love... the clarity of hatred... and the ecstasy of grief. It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion maybe we'd know some kind of peace... but we would be hollow... Empty rooms shuttered and dank. Without passion we'd be truly dead.” ~Joss Whedon, American Screenwriter


"You know the Greeks didn't write obituaries, they only asked one question after a man died, 'Did he have passion?'" ~Serendipity, Film (2001)


10 comments:

  1. Someday...I hope you have a position that enables you to travel often. Ceallach

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place to work!

    Passion-- such an important part of being human. I just wish the search for it was easier sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure that passion is a real feeling. Seems like one of those artificial constructs, like fighting for your country or family values.
    Passion in the sexual sense though seems possible and real and I've experienced that. But passion in the sense of doing something each day that you cannot do without . . . maybe a construct. Seems like this would be close to obsession, and I may not like that forced result day after day after day after day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Goatman on passion, and feel like execrating this fashionable word with something approaching a negative passion.

    The idea that everyone has to be fulfilled by their work is one which has developed in a pampered advanced society that stands on the edge of a crumbling precipice. The billions of poor don't have a choice about what work they do. Meanwhile we (not you my dear, I am off on a rant that you must not take personally) construct New Age myths of unlimited abundance, that lead people to scam one another to realise their personal dreams. They naturally deny that their ranks include those who have nearly brought down the world's banking systems, or are making the Third World poorer.

    In the world in which we find ourselves---as opposed to the pretty utopias we construct in our imaginations---drudgery is inevitable. Those who are rich enough to avoid walking miles carrying their drinking water and groceries find it necessary to exercise on machines instead, which they don't call drudgery (though I would) but a lifestyle choice.

    "Too much choice is a burden destructive of happiness." (Vincent)

    ReplyDelete
  5. aine - Thank you. It is and I do have to remind myself how lucky I really am.

    goatman - There is a fine line between passion and obsession. It can be crossed quite easily.

    vincent dear - I don't take things personally love ... so no worries there, and I needed yet another reminder of how so many have no choice in regard to their employment. You would think I wouldn't need that reminder considering where I grew up - but sometimes I do need a good verbal slap. Thanks you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, write the book, small one, large one, many separate ones, just do it, you are a fine writer with plenty of past and experiences, oh, and Kenya is in right now.

    You are fortunate in your job and where it is, but I understand the wonderlust and the urge to both the fresh and the old.

    To me, passion is a loss of time, or it is a complete indulgence and being overwhelmed by time. I have known both and enjoyed both. In the latter, I think of children and raising them, in the former I think of art and self-absorption. They are seemingly hard to reconcile and do both in the same day, sometimes there is each to its' season and we have to be patient for passion this or that.

    But these recent posts, as many of your earlier ones, show you lost in the moment, enjoying the passion of the experience of creating them. How you can do that so well, with a full time job, with kids to be responsible for, I certainly don't know, you must have great energies sometimes. But look Beth, I am sincere in this, you are seemingly doing very great things with yourself at present, you amaze me!

    Don't be offended dear one, but I occassionally wonder, have you ever been back in San Antonio?

    I have enjoyed the visit and reading, Beth, hope to visit again tomorrow evening or night. Thanks for the pleasure of your writing and your thoughts. See you later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I amaze you? Really? How do I do it? I am often tired. But, the need to create is strong and I spent years denying that to myself ... as though writing were a luxury.

    Have I been back to San Antonio? Once. My parents took me there for my 15th birthday, but I have not been there in adulthood. There is no offense implied or taken in the question ... but I do wonder at why you ask it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your energy to do art/writing, and all the rest which I am sure you are conscientious about as well, I imagine you do a great job all the way around, so you are amazing!

    Why back there? I think that our birth into place and time is somekind of foundation, a real one, not an overlay of or by intellect and consciousness, therefore I think there is a real sense of that foundation in our life doings, hence, there might arise some sense of balance or rightness thru returning, to whatever extent, to that foundation place and time. I am assuming I am right in thinking you were born there and then journeyed all over the world.

    I can cite my own experience on which this is based, but that would be too long.

    See you later Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You assume correctly. I was born there ... 3 weeks later I was adopted and moved one state away ... by 6 months I was on my first transatlantic flight. The rest is history. Your insight is valid. I had been thinking in order to write the book I want to write - I would have to return home to Kenya alone. Perhaps I need to make a few stops along my pilgrimage to make it all happen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most interesting Beth, no doubt the book will be a work of art.

    What would be, or do you have any, the most actual early memory about 'feeling' you have, that is different from an action experience.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin