Indeed!




It has been brought to my attention by more than one observant individual over the past week that I do, indeed, use the word “indeed” rather frequently in both my written and oral communication. OK, fine, I use it A LOT. As a self-professed “word nerd” I always have some new favorite word and apparently “indeed” is the word of the moment.

I have been told it makes me sound British. Well, no insult there. At least I use proper English (for the most part) instead of American English which, no offense dear friends, just sounds like an extremely butchered version of the original (especially where I reside).

I have been informed that it makes me sound Spockish. Huh? Yes, I said the same thing. It was clarified for me. Spock … as in Star Trek. Ah! I get it now. Very well then, “Live long and prosper.”

Someone mentioned to me that it made me sound more educated. HA! Well, I do have considerable more education than the individual who mentioned it … so I just bit my tongue and walked away from that conversation before I said something insulting and typically American like, “DUH!” Of course, that would have defeated the purpose as all my years of education are probably revoked from me every time I utter such stupidity. Saying the word “duh” does no one any favors …especially those attempting to endear themselves to the I.A.T.S.M.E.T.I.A.S (I Attempt To Sound More Educated Than I Am Society).

“Indeed” happens to be a wonderfully versatile word.

in·deed
–adverb
1. in fact; in reality; in truth; truly (used for emphasis, to confirm and amplify a previous statement, to indicate a concession or admission, or, interrogatively, to obtain confirmation): Indeed, it did rain as hard as predicted. Did you indeed finish the work?

–interjection
2. (used as an expression of surprise, incredulity, irony, etc.): Indeed! I can scarcely believe it.


Indeed! I think we should all adopt the word and make an effort to use it more often.

“A vocabulary of truth and simplicity will be of service throughout your life.” ~Winston Churchill

“Words are the coins making up the currency of sentences, and there are always too many small coins.” ~Jules Renard

14 comments:

  1. I like "indeed." It has a tasty formality to it without going overboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed I.A.T.S.M.E.T.I.A's really wind me up especially when they try to use big words that they know not what they mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But if a man uses "indeed" it can make him sound awfully avuncular.

    Candybox: Don't you think so? Or are you, indeed, utterly impregnable to the charms of loquacity? A casual question...

    Beth: Indeed, methinks that "utterly" would be worse than "indeed" to overuse. And indeed, methinks that "methinks" would be utterly worse than either.

    But then, "Yes-indeedy" might be worse than all of the above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth - I am indeed a fanatical fan of the word 'indeed'. I agree that it is indeed a most fabulous word. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. candybox ~ I know. Maybe we should create the actual society.

    Paul ~ Your comments are brilliant and hilarious. As a talkative individual myself I wonder if there are those who can resist my charms! Oh ... and "Yes-indeedy" is horrible. That is right up there with the plural of "Ya'll" ... you know: "All Ya'll"

    mc ~ I am fanatical about words in general, but "indeed" is, indeed, most fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my opinion, "indeedy" is only acceptable if immediately followed by "doody". Honestly, darling? People have SO VERY MUCH time on their hands that they'd rather quibble at the way you talk than just...you know...TALK with you? Fucking waste of time, I think.

    P.S. I've had Americans ask me if I'm Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cerise ~ Canadian darling? Are you using "eh" a lot in your speech these days? Yes, I am with you about the talking to me vs. analyzing my speech habits issue. 'Tis bloody stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. indeed indeed...
    Did someone say fucking is a waste of time.... indeed its not:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too like "indeed". Can't say I hear it too often. It strikes me as just a simple way of saying, "yes, well then, we agree", with a touch of accent. Not British accent, but emphasis.

    And thanks for the visits Beth. It's nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Owen Wilson's character, Eli Cash, in the Royal Tenenbaum's liked the word "indeed"....

    "You're Eli Cash"
    "Yes indeed, I am"

    He would applaud your frequent use of the word I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. kk ~ Snorting laughter.

    n2 ~ Perhaps I adopted the word because it is used so seldom in my current surroundings.

    lisa ~ Indeed! He did! I love Owen Wilson! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Owen too... Indeed I do, in most of his roles.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin