Mythical Mood Playground




“The thing with pretending you’re in a good mood is that sometimes you can.” ~Charles de Lint, Celtic Musician & Storyteller (Author note: Notice he said 'sometimes.')

I have been in a relatively cranky mood all day. There is no specific reason for it – merely general discontent, I guess. I even tried to go to this site to instantly improve my mood. It didn’t work. Sadly, I didn’t even crack a smile. I am pretty sure my eyes rolled.

“On a bad day, I have mood swings – but on a good day, I have the whole mood playground.” ~Charles Rosenblum, Historian

I want to find this mythical mood playground. I say ‘mythical’ because I am not sure it exists. It is a nice concept, but I think I run through more of the mood repertoire when I am cranky than when I am not.

Know this: It’s not personal.

If I snap at you today – It’s not personal.
If I don’t greet you with glowing enthusiasm – It’s not personal.
If I send a sharply worded email – It’s not personal.
If I exhibit a wee bit of road rage – It’s not personal.
If I ignore your instant messages – It’s not personal.
If I am not in the mood to talk – It’s not personal.
If I seem aloof – It’s not personal.

Do you know what is personal? Taking it personally when I tell you, “It’s not personal.” Don’t do it.

I am sure my cranky mood will pass. It always does.

“Time cools, time clarifies; no mood can be maintained quite unaltered through the course of hours.” ~Mark Twain, American Author

7 comments:

  1. Well, I tried that mood-improving site following your link.

    It asked my name. Grrr! The insolence. I wrote Rumpelstiltskin.

    The results were risible and made me laugh. It worked for me.

    From your non-robotic friend vincent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good! I am glad you got a good chuckle from it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post. I'm known as a moody person, and almost everyone takes it personally when I happen to not be in the mood to jump up and down when they tell me something that they expect I should get excited over. There are those few who know me well, and understand my moods, thank goodness.

    I think it is okay to experience moods. I worry about people who seem to act "normal" or "happy" constantly. That's just not, well, normal!

    I hope you are feeling better today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thank you! Personally, I think our society focuses too much on being happy, happy, happy ... that just can't be healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Beth, you could change your name to FRANK and still be you, wonderful human you! You made me laugh, and feel quite good, to be in such company, lol, nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. jim ~ Word association is a funny thing. You mention the name FRANK and I cringe. I had an Uncle Frank and I never did like the man. :o) Should I pick a male name for myself I would pick something different like Denver or Reed.

    Yes, I am very human ... even in the moody moments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth, now you are cringing, frank, and cranky in this post and from that comment, and wanting to be called Denver or Reed, I don't know what to say of your moodyiness, except, stay away from anyone calling themselves Uncle.

    I think I might call you Cinnamon, from the delicate roll of the cinnamon bark responding to its' power to curl and cast a spell. And look, non gender specific, just wonderful taste and great power to season.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin