A Path That Wanted Walking




“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.” ~Friedrich Nietzsche

It is a lovely day. Absolutely stellar! It is a good day for a walk. I think I will take one … after work obligations have been completed – of course.

It has been a long time since I have taken a walk strictly for the enjoyment of taking a walk. Usually, I am terribly preoccupied with the whole concept of needing to get some much needed exercise … instead of enjoying the day … which induces me to attach my ipod to my skull in order to block out the world while I proceed to walk or jog down
Feaster Trail which deceptively advertises itself as a natural habitat. I assume that running parallel with a stream automatically gives a path that cuts across three major roads, past baseball fields, homes, apartment complexes and two college campuses the license to claim being a natural environment. It isn’t. Well, it isn’t to me … thus the ipod is necessary to drown out the sound of vehicles, barking dogs, baseball games and more than enough general chaos to warrant not wanting to absorb all the sounds around me. My mind is chaotic enough on my own merit to not want to listen to a bunch of extraneous noise.

Oh! I do so wish I could walk in a place where the
cacophony of nature filled my ears instead of the clatter of civilization.


I would, indeed, find more enjoyment in my walk if I chose to walk on one of the walking trails here in the state park but the paths here range from only one-quarter mile to a full mile. Simply put – they are not long enough and too easily associated with my work environment to be fully relaxing. Shame.

“It is not easy to walk alone in the country without musing upon something.” ~Charles Dickens

I miss the Kenyan countryside. I long for lazy Saturdays (when I didn’t have a sporting event) spent escaping from the campus of
my boarding school to explore the surrounding hillsides of the Great Rift Valley or to climb Mount Longonot … again … simply because I could. There is nothing in this country that can compare to wandering through the carpeted hillsides of the Kenyan Tea Fields or of the feel of cool sand between your toes while meandering along Diani Beach in the early morning hours - before the tourists are awake - watching the sunrise over the Indian Ocean.

Yes, there are still places in the United States where one can commune with nature without outside interference. Please don’t go sending me hate mail if you are lucky enough to live where such places can be easily reached. I envy you.

Today, however, I will walk. I need a walk. I am being taunted by the beauty of the day and it is lovely enough that I will likely forgive the pandemonium involved in walking on a path with an abundance of worldly interference.

“He knew a path that wanted walking; He knew a spring that wanted drinking; A thought that wanted further thinking.” ~Robert Frost

“What is there that confers the noblest delight? What is that which swells a man's breast with pride above that which any other experience can bring to him? Discovery! To know that you are walking where none others have walked.” ~Mark Twain

5 comments:

  1. I love how a walk clears your mind. Don't go sending me hate mail toobut I intend to go hiking in the idyllic Cameron Highlands (google) tomorrow. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude!!! No hate mail ... but I am more than a tad bit envious.

    I just Googled pics of the Cameron Highlands ... and having grown up in Tigoni and gone to school at the Rift - yeah, I'm jealous. Those snaps are so reminiscent of home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should take a walk; by the time you stop talking about it, it'll be too late!
    Like Groucho Marx once said "Outside of a dog a book is mans' best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read".
    Just kidding, but I did get a chuckle out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. goatman ~ I took the walk .. that was Monday. I took one yesterday too. Good to have you stop by again and I will hoard that quote! Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pix of the Great Rift Valley....

    Ceallach

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin