100 Factoids - Get To Know Me, You Will



Inspired by this brilliant list by Blazing Goddess (and several others I have stumbled across over the last several days) I have decided to post one hundred random facts about myself. The challenge here is for me to give little details that you may not know about me which may be difficult since I'm quite the open book. All you have to do is read my prior posts to learn more then you probably want to know. Still, here we go:

1. I am an ENTP. It fits and actually explains a heck of a lot about me. I'm also a Leo. I think astrology is a load of crap but, by description, I am the quintessential Leo as well. It is spot on. Weird. Update: I've recently transitioned into the realm of the ENTJ. It happens... back and forth between the "P" and the "J".

2. I am a veritable word nerd. Big surprise there, huh?

3. Oh! Sarcasm oozes from my every pore in my body ... much like sweat. Speaking of sweat - I do not perspire or glisten when working out. I sweat. I sweat like a man. Disgusting, I know - but there you have it.

4. Despite being the complete and utter personification of the tomboy - I had these purple Miss Piggy tennis shoes when I was a kid. They were the first shoes I had with velcro and I salvaged them, worn and tattered, out of the garbage on more then one occasion when my mother tried to dispose of them. Odd, really, since my favorite Muppet was always Animal and not Miss Piggy.

5. I have an unhealthy and incurable addiction to Applebee's classic boneless buffalo wings. Trust me; "addiction" is not too strong a word in this instance. Yum. Update: Yep, still a problem.

6. I talk way too damn much. I know this about myself and yet ...

7. Do you know how I learned how to ride a bike? My daddy took me to the top of a hill .... and let go! I learned some surprisingly effective methods of falling without killing myself before I picked up on the bike riding and I have the scars to prove it.

8. Scars. I have lots of them and I wear them with tomboy pride.

9. Seasons make me twitchy and I despise Daylight Saving Time. Why can't the entire world function like the equator? Sun up at 7am. Sun down at 7pm. How hard is that? (I know. The entire concept defies all laws of nature. I can wish, can't I?)

10. Speaking of Daylight Saving Time: I habitually correct people who put the "s" on the end of "Saving" because it isn't proper. It is *not* Daylight Savings Time. Still, regardless of how you say it the practice is stupid. In general, I have no complaints in regard to Benjamin Franklin and all his genius but this is one idea that should be revoked.

11. While I am on the subject of things people say that irritate me - I can not stand it when people say "ATM Machine" because they are really saying "Automatic Teller Machine Machine" and that is just preposterous. Just tell me you are going to the "ATM" and all will be well.

12. My boss regularly calls me a "Smart Ass" but I don't mind because, well, I am. Not to mention - she is just as much of a smart ass. This is why we understand one another. We jointly pick on and tease everyone else in the office ... mercilessly. (Random note: When she was a little girl my boss attended the first church my daddy ever pastored. I had been working here for months before we made that connection.)

13. When I was married I used this pitiful little girl voice to get things out of my husband. He couldn't have liked it. It's just not possible. I have never used that voice for any other reason and I do not know why the hell I did then ... maybe I needed more then a divorce. Maybe I needed an exorcism.

14. Swahili. My skills regarding said language are absolutely pitiful. I can sort of hear it well and I can read it fairly well. When asked how to say certain things in Swahili the wiring in my brain short circuits and I end up calling my parents. What the hell happened? Did I grow up in Kenya or not? I need to order me some Rosetta Stone software and start studying. Anybody have $209 to spare?

15. If I had a super power it would be animal communication. I talk to them. They talk back. We get it each other.

16. Coffee. I love it. Love. It.

17. Bad coffee. I hate it. Hate. It.

18. Bad coffee is better than no coffee.

19. I am a total sucker for a guy who can sing really, really well. I am also completely smitten with guys who have great accents - particularly those from Great Britain (English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh). You give me a guy who can sing AND has a cute accent and I am completely lost.

20. Me? I have no accent. Well, I sound like an American but I don't sound particularly Southern or anything. I call it the non-accent.

21. I headbang like Wayne and Garth every time 'Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen comes on my ipod. Every. Single. Time.

22. I have a lot of Queen on my ipod.

23. My ipod is pink. My cell phone is pink. When did I get so girlie? Update: The pink iPod died. The new one is black. The new cell is dark, dark burgundy.

24. You have never really peed quickly and with great urgency until you have had to pee in the tall grasses of the Serengeti with the feeling that something is not only watching you ... but stalking you.

25. I can beat the snot out of my kids at two video games and only two: Dance Dance Revolution and Mario Golf. I highly recommend that no one on this planet challenge either one of them to a round of any version of Super Smash Bros unless you are a glutton for punishment and are begging for a sound lashing. You ... will ... not ... win.

26. I absolutely adored high school.

27. I truly strive to raise my boys to be modern day knights. There is sufficient evidence to suggest that I am succeeding in this quest.

28. I love high heels. Then again - I have astoundingly fabulous calf muscles (despite what the rest of me looks like) and they are best showcased in a great pair of heels.

29. I love San Antonio, TX and I was born there. I will visit, but I could never live there. Being adopted - I would be concerned about one day coming face to face with someone who looks just like me. That would be extremely unsettling.

30. Dark Chocolate + Peanut Butter = Greatest Combination Known To Mankind

31. I suck at math. Literally. I absolutely, positively suck at math.

32. My home computer crashed last week and the only two things I cared about saving were my writing (duh) and my iTunes. Words and music, baby. Words and music. (Incidentally, the computer tech dude here at work took my pc and got it all backed up for me.)

33. I absolutely abhor women who talk on their cell phones in public restrooms. I have been known to take away phones from people I know and hang up on whoever they are conversing with at that moment. I am likely to one day do it to a stranger if the trend continues. Nothing is that important. Nothing. If it is - take it outside.

34. If you do something stupid ... I will make fun of you.

35. If I do something stupid ... I will be the first to make fun of myself and fully expect you to make fun of me.

36. I secretly still want to be a stewardess. Oh, excuse me ... flight attendant.

37. Being politically correct 24/7 is illogical. The entire concept has been taken WAY too far by society.

38. I will be the first to tell you if you have spinach in your teeth or if your zipper is down or if you have hair hanging out of your nose and you will love me and appreciate me for it.

39. I often wish I had the patience my mother seems to so easily embody.

40. I love to sing. Loudly. I sing obnoxiously loud while in my vehicle.

41. You really don't want to listen to me sing. It isn't "nails on a chalkboard" bad, but I'm no songbird either.

42. The worst sound in the world is that of teeth scraping across a metal fork. Horrid.

43. I am a shield maiden of Rohan. For that matter, I am Eowyn herself. You just don't know it yet.

44. I have serious wanderlust issues. I want to travel, travel, travel, travel and travel. Dear God ~ Please bring me a rich man who can fund all of my adventures. He still has to love me desperately though. I don't want a sugar daddy. Amen.

45. I want to take archery lessons.

46. I firmly believe each of my boys are growing up to be bona fide hotties and I am thoroughly prepared to give a brutal beating with my old field hockey stick to any girl that dares to treat either one of them badly. Trust me; I know how to wield it.

47. I love Drew Barrymore movies. I love Steven Spielberg movies. I absolutely detest the film E.T. (nasty, ugly little extra-terrestrial).

48. I think my father has a brilliant sense of humor. Secretly. I still roll my eyes and say, "Oh, Dad!" when he tells jokes. Inside - I'm laughing.

49. Flip-flops are meant to be worn all year long. 365 days! Yes, even in winter.

50. There is nothing in this world that can compare to classic English Literature. Nothing.

51. My thesaurus and I love each other.

52. I managed to get pregnant ten months after having my tubes tied. WHAT? Yeah - weird, huh? I'm one of those 0.01% statistics. Trust me though, that will never happen again. I have permission (from him) to sue the OB/GYN who performed the second (and first) procedure should such an astounding thing ever occur.

53. There is no full-length mirror in my home. I like it this way.

54. I hate buying makeup and hair products. I find it tedious and confusing.

55. I love, love, love the feel of someone else washing my hair.

56. I could sit on a quiet beach and listen, really listen, to the ocean all day long.

57. I dislike living inland. I have always lived inland.

58. I am a hopeless believer in the power of true love ... if you are lucky enough to locate it.

59. I have no idea how to laugh quietly. I laugh loudly and often.

60. I named my last cat 'Mr. Darcy' and if you don't know what significance that name has, considering I am 'Elizabeth', then shame on you.

61. I name all my pets after characters in English Literature. Let's see, there have been Romeo, Juliet, Othello, Cleopatra, Beatrice, Benedick, Lancelot & Guinevere thus far.

62. I am systematically working my way through everything (film or tv) that James McAvoy has ever done courtesy of Netflix. I have yet to encounter a poor performance.

63. I don't see the glass as half empty. I don’t see it as half full. I see half a glass of water.

64. I love Chewbacca. Yes … as in Star Wars.

65. I play the piano - though not as well as I should.

66. Globes. Our Earth is so beautiful. I buy them. I collect them. Maps, too.

67. Writing is like breathing. I have no choice. I would continue to write even if there were no one there to read it.
68. I like to play with matches.

69. Asterix adventures are the greatest comic books ever written.

70. I am just beginning to discover and appreciate the music and brilliance of The Beatles.

71. I have a favorite Bible verse and it should come as no surprise that it is poetic.
“Place me like a seal over your heart,
like a seal on your arm;
for love is as strong as death,
its jealousy unyielding as the grave.
It burns like blazing fire,
like a mighty flame.
Many waters cannot quench love;
rivers cannot wash it away.
If one were to give
all the wealth of his house for love,
it would be utterly scorned.”
~Song of Solomon 8:6-7

72. People are inexplicably drawn to me when they need advice. I don’t understand it. I am not the great and powerful Wizard of Oz.

73. Biceps. A man’s well defined arms can make me weak in the knees.

74. I have a tattoo. This is no secret. Ooops! Surprise Mom & Dad! It was not a rash adolescent decision as I only got it one year ago. I love it and I will likely get one or two more. Update: I have two.

75. When I am sleeping … I want the room to be dark. Black. Black. Black. The tiniest glow of light will irritate me all night long. I have insomnia issues anyway. I do not need any extraneous light keeping me awake.

76. Flowers. I really dislike roses (too cliché) and I think the carnation is the ugliest flower ever. It matters not what color. But, I love flowers in general and wild flowers in particular.

77. I find proper English gardens to be most enchanting and magical places.

78. I miss the unbelievable sense of freedom that accompanies the ability to scale up a fantastical tree.

79. "I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs, and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music." ~George Eliot, The Mill On The Floss

80. I want to fly on a broomstick and play Quidditch.

81. To be perfectly honest, if you are still reading this then I am absolutely astounded.

82. Newspapers bore me and leave nasty blackish residue on my fingers. I do, however, read online versions of just about everything: CNN, MSNBC, USA Today, and even the stupid little Daily Siftings Herald of Arkadelphia, AR.
83. By the way - I may live here for the moment, but don't ever stoop to calling me an Arkansan. Ever.

84. I am a rather aggressive driver. Maybe this is how I was able to navigate Nairobi streets or perhaps I drive the way I do because of driving in Kenya and dodging matatus.

85. Facebook. Yep, I'm an addict.

86. I work on a gorgeous lake. I don't swim in it. Lake water grosses me out.

87. Books, movies, and TV shows dealing with the subject of vampires will inevitably draw me in like moth to flame. Not so strange when you realize I have had my nights and days confused since infancy.

88. Golf on TV. I really don't get it. Why do the announcers whisper as someone is taking a shot when they are secluded in a media box somewhere far, far away from where the golfer is located?

89. I have eaten beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish, lamb, goat, rabbit (ugh), quail, buffalo, giraffe, crocodile, alligator, deer, gazelle, impala, zebra, wildebeast, flying ants, ostrich and I'm sure many others that are simply not coming to mind at the moment. I could never be a vegetarian.

90. I have been known to crank up the Beach Boys and "surf" around my living room with my children. This usually results in bouts of uncontrollable laughter at some point.

91. My children respond to a number of different collective nicknames: Little People, Chubbits, Fatheads, Crazy Ones, Dudes, Big K & Little K, KK, KitKat, Dwarves, Midgets, Hobbits, Little Tags and ... more recently ... Merry & Pippin.

92. Ha! Number 92. I graduated from high school in 1992.

93. If you ask for my opinion you better make sure the question is not rhetorical and that you are prepared for whatever answer I will give. If you inquire .. I - Will - Tell - You - Exactly - What - I - Think.

94. Compliments are difficult for me to accept.

95. It is a proven fact that I make the most divine chocolate chip cookies ever. I don't eat them myself, but I make them for others.

96. I have had the same email address since the mid-90s and I absolutely refuse to change it despite the hundreds of emails that land in my spam folder on a daily basis. Anyone who has ever known me knows they can reach me at this email.

97. Where The Wild Things Are is the greatest children's book of all time.

98. I would thoroughly enjoy driving across this country from New York City to Los Angeles or from Boston to San Francisco or from Miami to Seattle. Road Trip!

99. Right now. I might just party like it is 1999. Again.

100. Finishing my college education fell victim to life and circumstance despite the fact that I only had a few classes left to complete. Someday, somehow ... I will get my degree. I hate leaving things unfinished.

There you go. Any questions?

"Our achievements of today are but the sum total of our thoughts of yesterday. You are today where the thoughts of yesterday have brought you and you will be tomorrow where the thoughts of today take you." ~Blaise Pascal

27 comments:

  1. ARKANSAN!!!


    Ceallach ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may never speak to you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a Myers-Briggs junkie.

    Interesting that you are in ENTP. I'm an INTP. We're close, but still quite different in motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww-- he beat me to it. I was going to comment on Jason's type also. As crazy as it must be to compile a list of 100 facts, I'm glad some bloggers do it-- it satisfies the voyeur in me.
    ;)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right on! What an awesome list! I don't know about you, but I did a bit of editing. It was starting to fel a little Post Secret-y. I love what you've done! Rockin' quotes. Especially the one about music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jason & aine ~ Funny that you were both going to comment on the same thing. I still think it is great the both of you are popping around blogger world together.

    b.g. ~ Thanks! I spent 2 days tweaking mine ... adding ... changing ... I may edit it again. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Were you born morning or evening or what?

    It is probably the DARK that is keeping you awake. I sleep with lights on, always have, learned to by falling asleep working, never changed. Plus light keeps the spiders out.

    I am astounded too, but you are you and I can't quit.

    I got hijacked by the Arkansas Highway Patrol long ago hitchhiking across country, had a backpack full of stuff, they ransacked it, threw it like trash, loose into a field off the road, told me to get out of the state and don't come back. Hippy/redneck stuff, easy then to understand. Now, I'd rather live in Arkansas than Texas. Think how bad Texas must be.

    You are something, the kids surely are too, my best to you all.

    BTW, Jack is Jim, secret identity lost.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Now I can break into your online account. Muahahaha!

    :|

    ReplyDelete
  9. "jack" ~ I was born at 3am. :o) Glad to see you here-and it isn't even Wednesday.

    mo ma ~ I didn't reveal that much!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth... what's astounding is the fact that I had to read to 100 to find something we have in common.
    Well, it took me a couple of days, so I may have forgotten something else.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I whole-heartedly agree with/or in other words, me too...#30, #31, #58, #67 & #62 (did you love "Becoming Jane", probably silly question).

    And after reading #89, I think you and Anthony Bourdain would make ideal traveling companions (they're having a contest like that by the way).

    ReplyDelete
  12. kk ~ I think we have more then #100 in common. I tried to list things I had not previously mentioned in prior blogs! :o)

    lisa ~ I actually did love 'Becoming Jane' because I was able to watch it for what it was ... 99% fiction surrounding real events. I've read the surviving letters between Jane & Cassandra and Tom is a mere blip of a mention. Still, I found the story lovely and I thought McAvoy stole every scene he was in. :o)

    Oooooh - I would love to travel with Bourdain. He is no nonsense and I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where the Wild Things Are? But isn't it very tame, really?

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Compliments are difficult for me to accept". Then I have instinctively been making life easy for you, all through our acquaintance!

    ReplyDelete
  15. re 83 I don't know what an Arkansan is like but I am sure you are not like one - yet.

    re 81 I got here because I am working backwards!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have read your 100 confessions. You are the woman for me. Unfortunately I am not available.

    ReplyDelete
  17. v ~ I am glad you made it through and tickled that you started at the bottom.

    FYI: Not all Arkansans are ignorant rednecks but I still do not like be connected with the state.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There's no Daylight Saving Time in Korea (although they're considering it) and right now (June) the sun comes up between four thirty and five a.m. Which wakes me up. Which sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beatrice and Bennedick are two of my ALL TIME FAVORITE CHARACTERS! You are now one of my favorite people for even knowing who they are! Dumb American Lit readers. BOOOOO!

    A big HERE! HERE! for #'s
    9
    26
    30
    34 & 35
    FOURTY THREE!
    44
    72
    80!

    You are a quirky and likeable lady. Glad to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. okay, I think I'm just going to cut and paste all yours and make them mine.

    There were many that stood out that defined the term "kindred spirit", but the one that sent me over the edge was #33.... seriously? SERIOUSLY??!! MUST YOU TALK ON THE CEL PHONE IN A PUBLIC RESTROOM??? Who are you talking to that could possible want to listen to an endless round of woman using the restroom? Someone PLEASE explain to me what that is about???... okay, clearly I'm a little passionate about this one...

    total inappropriate cel phone use. just had to toss that out there for a conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  21. just stop by to say hello and I read your site of the week at she who blogs.

    I read a number of these 100 facts and yours is the most fun and most entertaining so far. I can relate to a few of those things. You sound like a person who knows what she likes and don't like and is not afraid to confess it.

    And I love quotes as well, I have a rotating quotes below my header and I love that George Eliot quote

    I've put you on my blogroll, hope that's okay

    ReplyDelete
  22. lissa ~ Thanks! I just stopped by and read some of your poetry. I love it! I will be adding you to my blogroll as well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had an "Animal" Muppet who had movable eyebrows! Jim Henson based him on my favorite drummer, Keith Moon of the Who & John Bonham of Led Zepplin. All 3 are influences on my drumming style; most of all, the unstoppable Animal!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was directed to this post via she who blogs. I realize this entry is nearly a year old, but I wish nonetheless to leave a comment.

    First, it is haunting how many out of 100 you and I have in common. We disagree in maybe a handful, in astoundingly drastic contrast. For example, E.T. is one of my favorite films.

    Second, I love quotes as well. I have written a book on Italian food philosphy and it is punctuated by quotes.

    Third, I've put you on my blogroll, I hope you don't mind.

    Fourth, word verification for this comment: cansing. Yep, loud and obnoxious.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Welcome Lola! I see you share in much of my madness! Brilliant. I'll wander my way over to your profile in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Beth - I read your 100 today and laughed. I liked your posts on your dad and remember working with him. I agree - he is a good and funny man.

    I also like a very dark room, and I also HAVE TO HAVE a fan going on very high. My sister and course MK as well is the same. I was wondering about you?

    Tim Gary

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Tim! Brave man. If you're really crazy there are facts 101-200 here on the blog too. I know. I'm insane.

    You worked with dad?

    Ah, the fan. There was a time, yes, when I had to have a fan while I was sleeping and a ceiling fan was highly inadequate. My ex broke me of that habit eventually and I never went back. Strange. I do, however, listen to a CD of waves crashing on the shore while I sleep ... or WHEN I do sleep. White noise, it is. Much like a fan, but without the circulating air.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin