Inspired by this brilliant list by Blazing Goddess (and several others I have stumbled across over the last several days) I have decided to post one hundred random facts about myself. The challenge here is for me to give little details that you may not know about me which may be difficult since I'm quite the open book. All you have to do is read my prior posts to learn more then you probably want to know. Still, here we go:
1. I am an ENTP. It fits and actually explains a heck of a lot about me. I'm also a Leo. I think astrology is a load of crap but, by description, I am the quintessential Leo as well. It is spot on. Weird. Update: I've recently transitioned into the realm of the ENTJ. It happens... back and forth between the "P" and the "J".
2. I am a veritable word nerd. Big surprise there, huh?
3. Oh! Sarcasm oozes from my every pore in my body ... much like sweat. Speaking of sweat - I do not perspire or glisten when working out. I sweat. I sweat like a man. Disgusting, I know - but there you have it.
4. Despite being the complete and utter personification of the tomboy - I had these purple Miss Piggy tennis shoes when I was a kid. They were the first shoes I had with velcro and I salvaged them, worn and tattered, out of the garbage on more then one occasion when my mother tried to dispose of them. Odd, really, since my favorite Muppet was always Animal and not Miss Piggy.
5. I have an unhealthy and incurable addiction to Applebee's classic boneless buffalo wings. Trust me; "addiction" is not too strong a word in this instance. Yum. Update: Yep, still a problem.
6. I talk way too damn much. I know this about myself and yet ...
7. Do you know how I learned how to ride a bike? My daddy took me to the top of a hill .... and let go! I learned some surprisingly effective methods of falling without killing myself before I picked up on the bike riding and I have the scars to prove it.
8. Scars. I have lots of them and I wear them with tomboy pride.
9. Seasons make me twitchy and I despise Daylight Saving Time. Why can't the entire world function like the equator? Sun up at 7am. Sun down at 7pm. How hard is that? (I know. The entire concept defies all laws of nature. I can wish, can't I?)
10. Speaking of Daylight Saving Time: I habitually correct people who put the "s" on the end of "Saving" because it isn't proper. It is *not* Daylight Savings Time. Still, regardless of how you say it the practice is stupid. In general, I have no complaints in regard to Benjamin Franklin and all his genius but this is one idea that should be revoked.
11. While I am on the subject of things people say that irritate me - I can not stand it when people say "ATM Machine" because they are really saying "Automatic Teller Machine Machine" and that is just preposterous. Just tell me you are going to the "ATM" and all will be well.
12. My boss regularly calls me a "Smart Ass" but I don't mind because, well, I am. Not to mention - she is just as much of a smart ass. This is why we understand one another. We jointly pick on and tease everyone else in the office ... mercilessly. (Random note: When she was a little girl my boss attended the first church my daddy ever pastored. I had been working here for months before we made that connection.)
13. When I was married I used this pitiful little girl voice to get things out of my husband. He couldn't have liked it. It's just not possible. I have never used that voice for any other reason and I do not know why the hell I did then ... maybe I needed more then a divorce. Maybe I needed an exorcism.
14. Swahili. My skills regarding said language are absolutely pitiful. I can sort of hear it well and I can read it fairly well. When asked how to say certain things in Swahili the wiring in my brain short circuits and I end up calling my parents. What the hell happened? Did I grow up in Kenya or not? I need to order me some Rosetta Stone software and start studying. Anybody have $209 to spare?
15. If I had a super power it would be animal communication. I talk to them. They talk back. We get it each other.
16. Coffee. I love it. Love. It.
17. Bad coffee. I hate it. Hate. It.
18. Bad coffee is better than no coffee.
19. I am a total sucker for a guy who can sing really, really well. I am also completely smitten with guys who have great accents - particularly those from Great Britain (English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh). You give me a guy who can sing AND has a cute accent and I am completely lost.
20. Me? I have no accent. Well, I sound like an American but I don't sound particularly Southern or anything. I call it the non-accent.
21. I headbang like Wayne and Garth every time 'Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen comes on my ipod. Every. Single. Time.
22. I have a lot of Queen on my ipod.
23. My ipod is pink. My cell phone is pink. When did I get so girlie? Update: The pink iPod died. The new one is black. The new cell is dark, dark burgundy.
24. You have never really peed quickly and with great urgency until you have had to pee in the tall grasses of the Serengeti with the feeling that something is not only watching you ... but stalking you.
25. I can beat the snot out of my kids at two video games and only two: Dance Dance Revolution and Mario Golf. I highly recommend that no one on this planet challenge either one of them to a round of any version of Super Smash Bros unless you are a glutton for punishment and are begging for a sound lashing. You ... will ... not ... win.
26. I absolutely adored high school.
27. I truly strive to raise my boys to be modern day knights. There is sufficient evidence to suggest that I am succeeding in this quest.
28. I love high heels. Then again - I have astoundingly fabulous calf muscles (despite what the rest of me looks like) and they are best showcased in a great pair of heels.
29. I love San Antonio, TX and I was born there. I will visit, but I could never live there. Being adopted - I would be concerned about one day coming face to face with someone who looks just like me. That would be extremely unsettling.
30. Dark Chocolate + Peanut Butter = Greatest Combination Known To Mankind
31. I suck at math. Literally. I absolutely, positively suck at math.
32. My home computer crashed last week and the only two things I cared about saving were my writing (duh) and my iTunes. Words and music, baby. Words and music. (Incidentally, the computer tech dude here at work took my pc and got it all backed up for me.)
33. I absolutely abhor women who talk on their cell phones in public restrooms. I have been known to take away phones from people I know and hang up on whoever they are conversing with at that moment. I am likely to one day do it to a stranger if the trend continues. Nothing is that important. Nothing. If it is - take it outside.
34. If you do something stupid ... I will make fun of you.
35. If I do something stupid ... I will be the first to make fun of myself and fully expect you to make fun of me.
36. I secretly still want to be a stewardess. Oh, excuse me ... flight attendant.
37. Being politically correct 24/7 is illogical. The entire concept has been taken WAY too far by society.
38. I will be the first to tell you if you have spinach in your teeth or if your zipper is down or if you have hair hanging out of your nose and you will love me and appreciate me for it.
39. I often wish I had the patience my mother seems to so easily embody.
40. I love to sing. Loudly. I sing obnoxiously loud while in my vehicle.
41. You really don't want to listen to me sing. It isn't "nails on a chalkboard" bad, but I'm no songbird either.
42. The worst sound in the world is that of teeth scraping across a metal fork. Horrid.
43. I am a shield maiden of Rohan. For that matter, I am Eowyn herself. You just don't know it yet.
44. I have serious wanderlust issues. I want to travel, travel, travel, travel and travel. Dear God ~ Please bring me a rich man who can fund all of my adventures. He still has to love me desperately though. I don't want a sugar daddy. Amen.
45. I want to take archery lessons.
46. I firmly believe each of my boys are growing up to be bona fide hotties and I am thoroughly prepared to give a brutal beating with my old field hockey stick to any girl that dares to treat either one of them badly. Trust me; I know how to wield it.
47. I love Drew Barrymore movies. I love Steven Spielberg movies. I absolutely detest the film E.T. (nasty, ugly little extra-terrestrial).
48. I think my father has a brilliant sense of humor. Secretly. I still roll my eyes and say, "Oh, Dad!" when he tells jokes. Inside - I'm laughing.
49. Flip-flops are meant to be worn all year long. 365 days! Yes, even in winter.
50. There is nothing in this world that can compare to classic English Literature. Nothing.
51. My thesaurus and I love each other.
52. I managed to get pregnant ten months after having my tubes tied. WHAT? Yeah - weird, huh? I'm one of those 0.01% statistics. Trust me though, that will never happen again. I have permission (from him) to sue the OB/GYN who performed the second (and first) procedure should such an astounding thing ever occur.
53. There is no full-length mirror in my home. I like it this way.
54. I hate buying makeup and hair products. I find it tedious and confusing.
55. I love, love, love the feel of someone else washing my hair.
56. I could sit on a quiet beach and listen, really listen, to the ocean all day long.
57. I dislike living inland. I have always lived inland.
58. I am a hopeless believer in the power of true love ... if you are lucky enough to locate it.
59. I have no idea how to laugh quietly. I laugh loudly and often.
60. I named my last cat 'Mr. Darcy' and if you don't know what significance that name has, considering I am 'Elizabeth', then shame on you.
61. I name all my pets after characters in English Literature. Let's see, there have been Romeo, Juliet, Othello, Cleopatra, Beatrice, Benedick, Lancelot & Guinevere thus far.
62. I am systematically working my way through everything (film or tv) that James McAvoy has ever done courtesy of Netflix. I have yet to encounter a poor performance.
63. I don't see the glass as half empty. I don’t see it as half full. I see half a glass of water.
64. I love Chewbacca. Yes … as in Star Wars.
65. I play the piano - though not as well as I should.
66. Globes. Our Earth is so beautiful. I buy them. I collect them. Maps, too.
67. Writing is like breathing. I have no choice. I would continue to write even if there were no one there to read it.
68. I like to play with matches.
69. Asterix adventures are the greatest comic books ever written.
70. I am just beginning to discover and appreciate the music and brilliance of The Beatles.
71. I have a favorite Bible verse and it should come as no surprise that it is poetic.
“Place me like a seal over your heart,
like a seal on your arm;
for love is as strong as death,
its jealousy unyielding as the grave.
It burns like blazing fire,
like a mighty flame.
Many waters cannot quench love;
rivers cannot wash it away.
If one were to give
all the wealth of his house for love,
it would be utterly scorned.”
~Song of Solomon 8:6-7
72. People are inexplicably drawn to me when they need advice. I don’t understand it. I am not the great and powerful Wizard of Oz.
73. Biceps. A man’s well defined arms can make me weak in the knees.
74. I have a tattoo. This is no secret. Ooops! Surprise Mom & Dad! It was not a rash adolescent decision as I only got it one year ago. I love it and I will likely get one or two more. Update: I have two.
75. When I am sleeping … I want the room to be dark. Black. Black. Black. The tiniest glow of light will irritate me all night long. I have insomnia issues anyway. I do not need any extraneous light keeping me awake.
76. Flowers. I really dislike roses (too cliché) and I think the carnation is the ugliest flower ever. It matters not what color. But, I love flowers in general and wild flowers in particular.
77. I find proper English gardens to be most enchanting and magical places.
78. I miss the unbelievable sense of freedom that accompanies the ability to scale up a fantastical tree.
79. "I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs, and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music." ~George Eliot, The Mill On The Floss
80. I want to fly on a broomstick and play Quidditch.
81. To be perfectly honest, if you are still reading this then I am absolutely astounded.
82. Newspapers bore me and leave nasty blackish residue on my fingers. I do, however, read online versions of just about everything: CNN, MSNBC, USA Today, and even the stupid little Daily Siftings Herald of Arkadelphia, AR.
83. By the way - I live in Arkansas. I used to wonder why. Now I call it home. It's pretty awesome.
84. I am a rather aggressive driver. Maybe this is how I was able to navigate Nairobi streets or perhaps I drive the way I do because of driving in Kenya and dodging matatus.
85. Facebook. Yep, I'm an addict.
86. I work on a gorgeous lake. I don't swim in it. Lake water grosses me out.
87. Books, movies, and TV shows dealing with the subject of vampires will inevitably draw me in like moth to flame. Not so strange when you realize I have had my nights and days confused since infancy.
88. Golf on TV. I really don't get it. Why do the announcers whisper as someone is taking a shot when they are secluded in a media box somewhere far, far away from where the golfer is located?
89. I have eaten beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish, lamb, goat, rabbit (ugh), quail, buffalo, giraffe, crocodile, alligator, deer, gazelle, impala, zebra, wildebeast, flying ants, ostrich and I'm sure many others that are simply not coming to mind at the moment. I could never be a vegetarian.
90. I have been known to crank up the Beach Boys and "surf" around my living room with my children. This usually results in bouts of uncontrollable laughter at some point.
91. My children respond to a number of different collective nicknames: Little People, Chubbits, Fatheads, Crazy Ones, Dudes, Big K & Little K, KK, KitKat, Dwarves, Midgets, Hobbits, Little Tags and ... more recently ... Merry & Pippin.
92. Ha! Number 92. I graduated from high school in 1992.
93. If you ask for my opinion you better make sure the question is not rhetorical and that you are prepared for whatever answer I will give. If you inquire .. I - Will - Tell - You - Exactly - What - I - Think.
94. Compliments are difficult for me to accept.
95. It is a proven fact that I make the most divine chocolate chip cookies ever. I don't eat them myself, but I make them for others.
96. I have had the same email address since the mid-90s and I absolutely refuse to change it despite the hundreds of emails that land in my spam folder on a daily basis. Anyone who has ever known me knows they can reach me at this email.
97. Where The Wild Things Are is the greatest children's book of all time.
98. I would thoroughly enjoy driving across this country from New York City to Los Angeles or from Boston to San Francisco or from Miami to Seattle. Road Trip!
99. Right now. I might just party like it is 1999. Again.
100. Finishing my college education fell victim to life and circumstance despite the fact that I only had a few classes left to complete. Someday, somehow ... I will get my degree. I hate leaving things unfinished.
There you go. Any questions?
"Our achievements of today are but the sum total of our thoughts of yesterday. You are today where the thoughts of yesterday have brought you and you will be tomorrow where the thoughts of today take you." ~Blaise Pascal