Common Sense, Dancing




Despite the amazing amounts of rain that have fallen in the last few days, there is still pollen everywhere. While I should be glad that Spring seems to have arrived, I have two children with allergy issues and they are not thrilled by the yellow stuff that seems to be coating everything. I have a chair that sits beside the front door in case I feel like sitting outside with a book or something while the boys are playing. The chair is supposed to be black. It is currently coated in a thick layer of yellow pollen. Here is the conversation that played out between myself and my children as we came home from our full day of work and school yesterday:

12 yr old: "Ooooh, yuck!" (Glancing around at all the yellow stuff.)
7 yr old: "Look, Mom! Your chair has been pollinated!!"
Mom: "Maybe it will breed more chairs!"
12 yr old: "HA! HA!" (He bursts into immediate loud and raucous laughter.)
7 yr old: "Huh? Oh! HA! HA! HA!"
12 yr old: (Deep breath in between bouts of laughter) "You didn't really get it, did you?"
7 yr old: (Stops laughing immediately) "No, not really."

Oh well, at least someone in this world appreciates my humor.

"Common sense and sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing." ~William James

7 comments:

  1. I'm laughing with all three of you.... ;)

    Ceallach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boys with older brothers learn about sex earlier than only children: earlier but less accurately. Yes, funny - thanks for story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. William James quote is intriguing. Never thought about that before.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks C!

    vincent ~ Yes. Raising boys .... sigh.

    Rob ~ I've been looking for a reason to use this quote. It is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the quote too, I like dancing words when they come around, I can't dance at all or carry a tune.

    I raised two boys who were twins, you should hear what they use to tell me 'sex' was and how babys were made, and their imaginative errors came in spite of all the education in and out of school, they were outrageous until teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, my youngest is quite outrageous. I never know what will come out of his mouth.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin