The Mad People

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat. "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

~Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass


Are you not glad that we are all a wee bit mad? Think about it. How insufferably tedious and monotonous would life in general be if there was not, at the very least, a touch of madness in everyone? Normalcy is highly subjective. There is no par. Thank goodness. Why would you want to be normal? {Shudder} The word alone … “normal” … conjures images of mediocrity. MEDIOCRITY! Nothing good comes from being mediocre. We should strive for that which is great instead of giving in to resigned complacency. Imagine the wonderments we would likely behold if every human on earth embraced their own madness enough to shun the desire to be normal (mediocre, average, standard, common, routine) and actively pursued the metaphorical reaching for the stars. Miracles. We would witness miracles on Earth.

“Normal is not something to aspire to; it's something to get away from.” ~Jodie Foster, American Actress

“You gotta fight every day to keep mediocrity at bay.” ~Van Morrison



13 comments:

  1. You must've been reading my mind when you wrote this. There is nothing as boring as mediocrity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you do it Beth? A quote for every thought.... I should consult you whenever I try to write something...

    ReplyDelete
  3. cb ~ Painfully boring!

    kk ~ In most cases the quote comes first. I am a quote hoarder and I find them, think about them, keep them and wait for the perfect day. There are times I have to go looking for them because I sort of remember a quote but can not regurgitate it accurately. :o) This post is a mix of the both. I've been itching to use the Lewis Carroll quote for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were not born for mediocrity, but for greatness. One can be great in small ways, you know. I think people fail to realize that sometimes. That's why everyone feels a little tingle at the birth of a child. It's a reminder of all the potential greatness we're sitting on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Normalcy.

    Eww.

    Also, I'd have loved to sit down and have a chat with Lewis Carroll. It takes a brilliant/crazy mind to always manage to come up with the perfectly insane words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. bg ~ Wonderful sentiment! We can be great in small ways!

    mo ma ~ Lewis Carroll was just twisted enought that I would have enjoyed his conversation greatly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, we are all a bit mad. While I'm too lazy right now to read through your blog, I'm sure I'll be back to peruse it. Here's a drive-by comment about being quotable, though...

    "If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing."

    -Ben Franklin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah! One of my favorites. Do come back and stay a little longer! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mad in every way, makes for a very merry madhatter day.
    But keep your madness cool, lest your madness turns you to a fool.

    Just playing, have a beautiful mad wonderful day Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  10. jim ~ How lovely!!! I do hope I have a beautiful mad wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. found you from blogtations and have thoroughly enjoyed reading through.

    thought this quote may be a good one for this post...it's one of my favorites:
    “The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars....”
    (jack kerouac)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you are enjoying it! I **love** that quote by Kerouac. I hadn't heard it ... so THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have you ever thought about publishing an ebook or guest authoring on
    other websites? I have a blog based upon on the same topics you discuss and would love to
    have you share some stories/information. I know my subscribers would
    appreciate your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e mail.

    My blog post ... woodworking plans

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin