There's No 'Sorry' In Soccer!!




Sound familiar? Yep! It did to me too!

“There’s no crying in baseball!” ~A League of Their Own, Film (1992)

Only, the new phrase came from the mouth of my youngest child as he chastised his older brother for apologizing profusely during a friendly random scrimmage this afternoon at his practice. The eldest had joined in at the request of the coach to increase numbers as there were a couple of no-shows (slackers).


The entire exercise further exhibited to me (and any passerby) the drastic differences in my two boys. The musician playing against the little jocks in training was quite a sight and blatantly exemplified the monumental differences between these two children born of the same genetics.

The oldest said it more then once by the way: “Sorry! Sorry! Oops, sorry!” I confess. I was already laughing at him … not openly, but to myself.

I don’t know if the little one was tired of hearing it or frustrated or blatantly embarrassed but he finally had enough as he wheeled on his brother, “THERE’S NO ‘SORRY’ IN SOCCER!!!”

Quite a catchy slogan if you ask me.

9 comments:

  1. Let the eldest play contact sports....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It isn't about LETTING him ... he doesn't WANT to and I won't force him. We foster the talents and interests that our children have we don't demand they participate in activities they don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working with young chidren, I had lots of opportunity to notice just the kind of thing you talk about here with your own children - how very early in life our characteristics and predispositions are formed. Sometimes very strong ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, your (elder) son is just like I was when I was younger. It was a comedy whenever I attempted to play soccer as they would all play rings around me. But I had my own forte too!

    I agree with Paul; some children tend to start to develop their personalities way earlier than other kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. paul & mo ma ~ Actually the older one has been predispositioned to music since birth. At age 3 he told me he would sing on Broadway. He has his gifts and he has focused on them since that early age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so cool. Some words from a budding critic (in other words, can appreciate, CANT sing); many drama & vocal teachers tend to be callous/inexperienced/overambitious (they also get the fame if the kid show goes well). They either get the kids to practice or sing too much or sing something that is too heavy and not right for their vocal type or teach them the improper technique. Much like the rest of his body, his vocal cords right now are way more 'fragile' and susceptible to damage which he may never recover from if he abuses them. Without seeming like you're stifling him, until he is in his late teens, put a limit on his singing activity and dont let him go overboard with too much practice or too many performances. A good voice teacher (preferably classical. They know WAY more about vocal health than contemporary music vocal teachers) will advice you on this in detail. Even then, it's great to call a conservatory and ask them for a recommendation. There are WAY too many quacks out there in the singing world and a singer is only as good as his vocal cords & technique (I cannot stress that enough).

    And lastly, email me in some years when he's singing in theaters or opera houses and I'll swing by to watch him if I'm ever in your corner of the world. I've never been able to realise my dream of doing the same as it's not a 'respectable career' (too late for me now) and, down the line, your son will love you for supporting and looking out for him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excuse the mini-blogpost. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nobody tells it like kids do. So articulate.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin