Riverfest!!



Why haven’t I done this before? I have lived in this state for … well, for far too long now … and I have never, ever, ever, ever attended Riverfest in Little Rock before. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. My experiences this weekend almost … ALMOST … make living here tolerable (nothing against Arkansas in particular, I tend to be discontent anywhere in the USA). I came to some realizations over the last three days as well: some serious, some shallow and some just plain silly. Lucky for you – I’m willing to share!!

  • Live performances from Huey Lewis & the News, Saving Abel, Better Than Ezra, One Republic, .38 Special and ZZ Top make for one hell of a fabulous weekend.
  • Shoes. Important they are. Before you spend an entire day walking to and fro throughout the festivities of such an event ... make sure your shoes really are comfortable. Thinking they will be comfortable doesn't cut it. You have to KNOW!
  • I have now affirmed that I will most willingly walk ANYWHERE barefoot ... even in downtown Little Rock, AR without care or shame.
  • There really are attractive, single, successful men in Arkansas. They exist!! Who knew? I just live in the wrong town. For that matter ... there is an unusually high percentage of super hot police officers in Little Rock. Seriously. Still ...
  • In a crowded room or a mob of 10,000 people (different night than the 25,000 people) I am still drawn to men that ... inevitably ... are not American. It is a gift. My friends think I have some internal aversion to men born & raised in this country. 'Tis possible. Let me take this moment to extend my gratitude to Lars from Norway who lives in Dallas. Dude! Thanks for boosting this girl's ego.

"After centuries of men looking at my tits instead of my eyes and pinching my ass instead of shaking my hand, I now have the divine right to stare at a man's backside with vulgar, cheap appreciation if I want to." ~P.S. I Love You, Film (2007)

  • My body CAN NOT remain still during great live music. It is physically impossible for me not to move!
  • I am still 100% capable of making a complete and unmitigated ass out of myself. Thankfully, those occasions are extremely rare.
  • Do you have any idea how difficult it is to send a text message or make a cell phone call when you are enveloped in a crowd of .... oh, I don't know ... 25,000 people or so and practically every single one of those individuals also has a cell phone and is trying to do the same thing you are trying to do .. simultaneously? Nigh impossible!
  • I have great friends. They are young .... "Huey Lewis who?" ... but they are great.
  • Driving back and forth from Arkadelphia to Little Rock three times in three days is bloody tedious. It is a distance of approximately an hour (75-ish miles) one way. Two hours round trip. People drive this commute for work every day. Idiots.
  • Deep Fried Oreos!!! Sound gross? Yeah? I thought so too. Yummy. Very yummy ... and I am not a big Oreo fan. Yummy!
  • I will never lose my gift for blatantly making fun of stupidly dressed people. Honestly, do these people look in the mirror before they leave the house? Who told them they looked good? I'm not a fashionista or anything, but dang it! Should I talk about the seriously overweight & sweaty behemoth of a woman in the sheer (as in see through) sundress with no bra and massive granny pannies? Did you get the visual? Good ... then I don't have to talk about her.
  • I have this snug t-shirt that I bought for a whopping $3 at Wal-Mart that has Jim Morrison on the front in psychedelic colors. People LOVE that shirt.
  • I really, really, really will talk to ANYBODY!
  • Bottled water is a hot commodity when stuck in aforementioned multitudes of people in 95ºF weather and 100% humidity.
  • I should take chances more often.

"What is more mortifying than to feel that you have missed the plum for want of courage to shake the tree?" ~Logan Pearsall Smith, American Writer

  • IHOP or Waffle House? One of life's great conundrums. It is now right up there with: Coke or Pepsi? Captain Kirk or Captain Picard? Chicken or Egg? Regular or Extra Crispy? Yeah - we were stopped in the street on Friday night by an intoxicated group of individuals who asked us to clear up that first question for them ... to assist them in making their collective decision. Ironic that we ended up with the same quandary on Sunday night ... or 1am Monday morning.
  • It is possible to navigate through the melee of vehicles in downtown traffic and avoid the inevitable task of sitting in lines for hours at a time if one only uses a little imagination and dodges the traditional exit paths taken by the rest of the madness ... like alleys.
  • Main Street Bridge over the Arkansas River is approximately 1/2 mile ... as is the walking bridge and the Broadway Street Bridge or any other bridge over said body of water. Needless, to say - I walked at least 4 miles JUST in crossing back and forth over bridges this weekend. That doesn't count the rest of the time my feet were moving.
  • Overheard conversation ...
    Woman: "That's the cleanest porta-potty I've ever been in!!!" (Loudly)
    Husband: "Dear, I wouldn't brag about that if I were you."
    Fantastic!!!
  • I still don't embarrass easily.

I have more. Wow! I could go on and on and on ... I won't, but I could. I hope everyone ... ya'll ... all ya'll (my attempt there at embracing where I live) ... had a good weekend as well.


8 comments:

  1. Live concerts are so much fun! Glad you had a good time.

    Also, sign me up for the I'm Attracted to Foreign Guys Club. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great weekend...you deserved some fun! And while we're on foreign guys, why do you think I left the country!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not going to confess my attraction to foreign guys... but good for you. Sounds like you guys had heck of a weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent embracing! Well done! A girl needs a good rockin' weekend now and again. Keeps ye olde juices flowing, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @musing ~ Join the club!! Thank you for the visit. I've already stopped by blogtations for my fill of laughter this morning!

    @bethany ~ Yes, yes ... maybe someday I can move too! :o)

    @kk ~ Seeing as you are a foreign guy ... I would hope you aren't confessing attraction to yourself ... or those like yourself ... or whatever! :o)

    bg ~ Thanks! I discovered ... I'M NOT DEAD!! Wow! It was quite the revelation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Waffles...man, I'm just imagining a Belgian Chocolate & Nuts Waffle with a dollop of vanilla icecream...

    *Dies*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this last week and enjoyed it more than anything in a long time, sheer delight Beth!

    4 hours to dallas, from dallas, an hour to LRock, I used to drive from dallas to memphis nonstop a few times a year, and back, 8 hours or so I think, long trip.

    I enjoyed the dallas trip also, frisco ball game, also made me remember how much fun life can be, and how strenuous, need to be young for that, enjoy it while you have it, great experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I'm trying. I had become a little stodgy there for a while. I need to have more fun.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin