With A Little Help




I am quote hoarder. I know. There was no surprise in that sentence. The cool thing is that I am not the only one. Again, no surprise. Still, I visit a number of quoting bloggers from time to time just to see what I can find and occasionally I stumble across a jewel or even a life altering (to me) saying. This week I send out many thanks to Todd in Hell’s Kitchen for the following quote he posted on his “And I Quote Blog” on May 1, 2008. It is a quote that I have now read over and over … almost to the point of memorization. I have sent it to countless friends as I believe every woman of faith needs to hear these words. I, myself, have had to let it sit in … to absorb.

“When the mirror is no longer telling you what you thought you would like to hear and the culture is no longer telling you what you thought you would like to hear, sometimes that’s when you finally have ears for what God wants to say to you. That’s when you hear him say things sweeter than the mirror ever told you and sweeter than the culture ever told you. That’s when you finally realize that you are loved, and you finally realize you are enough... When you have really allowed that in, you emerge into a different place within yourself, and from that place … LIFE ROCKS!”
~Marianne Williamson, Beliefnet


[I did change it a little by putting “Life Rocks” in capital letters as I felt those two words needed as much emphasis as possible.]

Thank you, again, Todd! I would never have found this quote if you had not posted it first!

“Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends …” ~The Beatles

5 comments:

  1. The mirror speaks and you hear, rather than see? God speaks via the mirror? To women of faith?

    Then life rocks. As opposed to sucks, presumably.

    I cannot understand, being on this side of the Atlantic, why these terms designed by children for the expression for vague incoherent emotions, should be adopted by an eloquent feminist in her late fifties speaking of the dilemma of female middle age. Oh well. "I'm a provocateur" she says as quoted in Wikipedia. She provokes me all right.

    I did actually read her book once: "Return to Love". But still.

    Thanks, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paraphrase: "Love yourself & learn to truly live."

    Why do women say their 30's were great .. no, their 40's ... no, the 50's are the best? It is because they have learned to be comfortable in their own skin. Yes, there are women who need help with this and many of them get it through their fath. I don't presume that every woman who may read this will believe in God ... thus the comment on "women of faith". However, those who do will get it and understand it. The other will likely be put off by the mention of 'God' and that is okay. I do not force anyone to listen to my views.

    The mirror does speak. Volumes, in fact. There is no mention of God speaking via the mirror. He addresses us all individually in many different ways. We just have to listen.

    Me? I don't give a damn what culture tells me. I've lived in too many cultures to give special notice to one or the other, but the one I reside in now would have me emaciated and bony and disgusting if it had its way. I am more at ease with who I am than many women my age in this country. In fact, I do not doubt my mind or my humour or my talents. My mirror does not want me to be anorexic, but it does point out my flaws on a regular basis. The trick is to let the voice of my God speak to me louder than that of my mirror. He tells me, "You are beautiful! I made you. You are special! You are one of a kind!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the revelation itself is wonderful. But there is a flip side. That I do not let the voice of my God speak to me till my looks start to deteriorate according to the standards I rejoiced in till now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That wisdom comes in old age is nothing new. Shame that the young are allowed to rule though.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin