Invisible Touch




Have you heard of the Five Love Languages? Yes? No? Either way – go read them. You may not agree with the entire concept or the religious implications but, believe you me, there is a lot of common sense in the premise. I have taken the test (not the 30 second online quiz ... the test). Apparently, I speak a strange combination of two dialects: Quality Time & Physical Touch. I am teetering precariously between the two which means that, dependent upon my mood, I prefer one over the other … but there are no guarantees as to which one I may be craving at any given moment. Seeing as I am already Bipolar – me being highly unpredictable in this area of my life is just par for the course.

I know what you are thinking. Well, I know what those of you who know me or read my entries on a regular basis are thinking. Maybe. It is probably something pretty close to this:

“Beth, what are you doing babbling on and on about love languages when you are single?”

That’s the point. I’m single. I have been for almost a year and a half now and most days I am perfectly content with that fact. And then there are those days when the desire for physical touch becomes almost overbearing. Believe it or not, I’m not talking about sex … just touch.

Touch. Intertwining fingers. A hand on the small of my back. Gentle kisses on the forehead. Hugs.

“I hope someday, somebody wants to hold you for 20 minutes straight and that’s all they do. They don’t pull away. They don’t look at your face. They don’t try to kiss you. All they do is wrap you up in their arms and hold on tight without an ounce of selfishness to it.” ~Waitress, Film (2007)

Yep, that’s what I need.

18 comments:

  1. It is good to know what your Love Languages are (even if you are single), and also to know your partner's language.

    I hope you find someone when the time is right who can satisfy your need for touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ... and thanks for the visit. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth- I have been married for 33 years...and I have the same desire you have....just the warmth of the simple human touch...I need to shower my soul now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. joemmama ~ I am less lonely now then I was during my 12 year marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth, where do I take this test? I read the book several years back but couldn't quite figure what mine was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The actual test is in the book. There is the 30 second online quiz on the website, but there is an adapted test HERE that is pretty darn close. I just took it to see and I got the same result with my 2 "languages" only 1% apart from one another.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! Kind of difficult since it all relates to spousal language... I guess I'm into words of affirmation and being touched. Mhhmmm! Now I know why I am close to some people:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mine are Quality time and Touch..
    I got this hug that was a side hug from two different men..one a straight friend, on a gay one...and each one felt like a kiss of love.
    It was magic.
    The Gay friend felt like a fatherly hug since he was my dad's age, and I teared up..held off tears, since this was at work and a customer was at the counter.
    I wanted to bawl then..because it "touched" me so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wanted to add that for them both..I would have wished the hug lasted a bit longer..but they were perfect just the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @jenn ~ LOVE the hugs ... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have read that. Good book. Very interesting. I took the little quizlink too. Mine scored like this: 9- Quality Time, 8- Touch, 7- Words of Affirmation. It would seem I'm either incredibly greedy or very well-rounded.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too many of the answers could go either way for me. Is this real research, or just his idea? I much prefer the John Gottman work, based on real studies of real couples and families over decades now.

    Everyone needs good touch, or we fail to thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can appreciate that, I wish you the best of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @z ~ I read the actual book so long ago ... but there was a fair amount of research involved. I simply do not remember the particulars.

    @jim ~ Thank you, love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always recommend this book to people. I scored high on "words of affirmation" and husband was "acts of service". So I try to keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I actually talked about this in my Speech class few months ago. Mine are Acts of Service, and Physical Touch. Bf and I get into fights sometimes when I'd get home and there's no dinner or anything...It seems petty when I think about it, but dunno, can't really help it that I feel loved more when things are done for me...

    ReplyDelete
  17. @bybee ~ I think it helps us to all be more aware.

    @kris ~ It isn't petty & you are not alone ... otherwise it wouldn't be one of the 5 languages! Thanks for the visit! I hope you come back.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great book, Great writer, I'm primarily physical touch and second Words of affrimation. I just bought "The Five Love Languages of Teenagers". Mines 16yrs old. Any help understanding them is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin