Powerless




“Where misunderstanding serves others as an advantage, one is helpless to make oneself understood.” ~Lionel Trilling, American Author

I received a phone call today from someone needing some advice … or an ear to talk to … someone to bounce ideas off of … someplace to vent. This person is dear friend to me and I listened as she attempted to disclose the circumstances in which she has now found herself. Knowing people the way I do, I also made some rather accurate educated guesses regarding her current situation. She is overwhelmed and rightly so. She has been manipulated. Her weaknesses have been exploited. Those involved are using misunderstanding to their own advantage.

Decisions need to be made. She must save herself … emotionally, physically … and, yes, spiritually.

I have given my advice (for what it was worth). I can not make resolutions on her behalf.

I am here … if she needs me.

I am here.
I am here.

"Circumstances may accumulate so strongly even against an innocent man, that directed, sharpened, and pointed, they may slay him." ~Charles Dickens, The Mystery of Edwin Drood

3 comments:

  1. This hits a resonant sweet spot with me. Oh, yes. My old boss couldn't hear me, because to hear me would be to denigrate herself and all her work. Leaving really was my only honorable option. Thanks for the perfectly timed quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This you describe should be, maybe is, one of the most terrible of sins, to intentional exploit weaknesses, confuse and mislead, and then take advantage of the victim thru those intentionally imposed 'apparent' realities, it is an awful thing to do to another yet is all too common. I wonder sometime if it is better or worse than it used to me, but can't decide. Some perpetrators are great artists at this craft, this witchcraft.

    The only way out is not thru rectification usually of all the parts, but just to bow out entirely from the mileu, adjust oneself and remember always that your reality is not those contrived realities, feel your integrity and take it with you.

    Yes Beth, be there for her, it is a tragedy, I know it well and have seen it used way too often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. z ~ So glad for good timing!

    jim ~ It is all I can do to just be here if she needs me.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin