Upright Infinity



I was tagged by blazing goddess for the following meme which I find intriguing enough to complete and post myself. Memes can be a fascinating thing … allowing the author the opportunity to divulge information that may have remained private while simultaneously filling that little bit of voyeurism that resides within the reader.

As for the title … well, this meme is all about the number eight. Of course, on its side the number eight doubles for the infinity symbol (). Stand it back up and it becomes ‘Upright Infinity.’



Eight Things for Which I Have a Passion
There it is. The “passion” word. Ugh.

“Passion is my life. In fact, what is life without it? A grey wheel of habits spinning oddly on.” ~Nanny McPhee, Film (2006)

1) Faith. Read Hebrews 11. I believe! I will not shove it down your throat. Make up your own mind.
“Faith is deliberate confidence in the character of God whose ways you may not understand at the time.” ~Oswald Chambers

2) People. I have a passion for people. Truly, we are a fascinating species. I particularly love to
people watch. I make up stories about people and make fun of people and … very often … open my mouth and strike up conversations (usually rather fascinating ones) with random strangers. People are incredibly intriguing.

3) English Literature. I love it and I have been called a “dealer” for buying books for individuals who can not afford their own. Shakespeare. Dickens. Shelley(s). Austen. Lewis. Tolkien. Marlowe. Wordsworth. Coleridge. Byron. Keats. Scott. Blake. Eliot. Browning(s). Fleming. Rowling. Bring me books! Bring me poetry! I do not get on well with individuals who blatantly refuse to read.

4) Education. If I had the money I would forever be a student of something … anything. This applies to formal and informal education. I would be fluent in at least three languages. I would study art in depth. I want to learn dance and how to be a good bartender and all about astronomy. Teach me. I will learn.

5) Travel. I have yet to find a way to truly assuage my wanderlust. Everyone knows I have it. I compulsively rearrange the furniture in my apartment every few months to make it feel as thought I have moved to a new place. I talk about travel constantly … places I have been … places I want to go … places I want to revisit. I have a mental list of 100 places I want to visit before I die and those are just the important ones. I will be thirty-four this year. Odds are I am going to miss out on a lot of those destinations.

6) Music. I am not gifted musically, but music is a vital component to my life and my happiness. It moves me … physically, emotionally, spiritually. I am often asked about what type of music is my favorite but that is such a difficult question for someone who has an extremely eclectic collection of tunes. In my heart, I must confess, I am a bit of a rocker chic. Does this surprise you? It shouldn’t. Still, I love all genres of music and they each have a place in my soul where they fit perfectly.

7) Writing. Good or bad … I can’t stop. Words! Words! Words!

8) Earth! Global warming is no joke. I have watched the glaciers on Mt. Kilimanjaro and Mt. Kenya melt away to almost nothing over the course of my lifetime (33 years). That, my friends, is a reality. I do what I can. If I had the funds I would build a green home and drive a hybrid vehicle. If we all do a little … we can change a lot.

“Global warming is not only the number one environmental challenge we face today, but one of the most important issues facing all of humanity ... We all have to do our part to raise awareness about global warming and the problems we as a people face in promoting a sustainable environmental future for our planet.” ~Leonardo DiCaprio, The 11th Hour

Eight Things I'd Like to do Before I Die
Just eight? Eight! I may have to play a little game of eeny-meeny-miny-moe to pick only eight.

1) Fitness. I want to be fit again and firmly believe that the journey to do so will take me on a parallel path of self discovery. In high school and college I was the ultra-mega-athlete extraordinaire. I discovered in recent years that my identity was closely tied to that “Supergirl” persona. I have sort of been floundering every since. There are reasons galore (hard pregnancies, depression, etc.) that have contributed to me being “out of shape” and those are now under control. It is time for me to take my life back.

2) My boys. I want to succeed in raising them to be modern day knights.

3) Home. I desperately need to go home to Kenya. If I could move there today and make a living … I would do it. At the very least, I need a visit. I can not begin to convey the depths of exactly how important this is to me.

4) Travel. Visiting all the places on my “Top 100” list will probably never happen. That being said, I would like to hit the top ten before I die. In no particular order, that list currently is: Scotland, Egypt, Prague, Machu Picchu, Cape Town, Dubai, Ireland, Greece, Victoria Falls, and Venice. I say “currently” because my choices might change tomorrow. The list of places I want to revisit is quite extensive as well, but I won’t address that here.

5) Bachelor’s Degree in English Literature. The final full semester of my college education fell victim to a particularly hellish time in my former marriage and the first time my ex and I separated. Life has simply been in the way ever since. I hate leaving things unfinished and I want to complete my degree.

6) Book Club. I want to start and facilitate a really, really great book club with fabulous literary choices and a wonderfully diverse group of participants.

7) Literary Epiphany. I am waiting for the light bulb-over-my-head moment that leads to the writing of a complete novel. I may never attempt to have it published. I may never let anyone – even those close to me – read it, but I will have written the thing and that is what is important.

8) Love. Find it. Experience it. Trust it. Feel it. Taste it. Believe it. Touch it. I want to absolutely lose myself in raw, forgiving, passionate, exhausting Love.

Eight Things I Say a Lot
I am a creature of habit and I always have some new catch phrase or favorite word. Then, of course, there are those repetitions courtesy of the work environment.

1) “
Indeed!”
2) “DeGray Sales Department, this is Beth …”
3) “That’s Fantabulous!”
4) “BOYS!”
5) “Bloody Hell!”
6) “Here, read this!”
7) “Ok! So, you know when ….”
8) “Danka Schein!”

Eight Books I Have Read Recently
1) Pride and Prejudice
2) Persuasion
I go through all six of Jane Austen’s novels each year.

3) Wicked
4) Lost
5) Mirror Mirror
Gregory Maguire is just plain awesome!

6) Against Happiness: In Praise of Melancholy by Eric G. Wilson.

A great read for anyone who thinks they are depressed.

7) Atonement by Ian McEwan. Sheer Perfection.

8) Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. Required annual reading.

Eight Movies I Have Seen Eight Times
Um, well, you see … the thing is … I watch A LOT of movies. I adore film. So, this list of eight is a mere random sampling.

1)
The Lost Boys. “What?” Yep. This was my favorite movie from 1987 to 1992. I was young and I watched it a countless number of times.

2)
The Mummy. I love this movie. The premise is great and the humor is spot on. “No more goat soup!”

3)
LOTR. I love launching weekend long Lord of the Rings marathons in order to watch all three extended editions back-to-back.

4)
The Phantom of the Opera. If I lived in New York City I would be at the Broadway production at least once a month. Alas, I do not. I must fill my longing for this musical via the film (and a CD of the original Broadway cast).

5)
Batman Begins. Who needs Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer or George Clooney when Christian Bale does it SO much better? Actors aside … this film was a far cut above the rest and probably the best comic book/super hero movie ever made. I have high hopes for ‘The Dark Knight’.

6) Star Wars IV, V, & VI. That would be ‘
A New Hope’ and ‘The Empire Strikes Back’ and ‘Return of the Jedi’ for you losers out there who needed clarification. “May the force be with you.”

7)
Hope Floats. This particular chick flick was more than extremely relevant to my life the year it was released in theaters.

8)
Gladiator. “My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son. Husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.” Hell yeah you are!!!!

Eight People Who Should Do This Meme
Seeing as I ignore more then half the memes for which I am tagged … please do not feel obligated! Ciao!

1)
Cerise
2)
Jennifer
3)
Desiluhu
4)
Caffeinated Librarian
5)
KK
6)
Mo Ma
7)
candybox
8)
Mzungu Chick

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ~Plato, Ancient Greek Philosopher

7 comments:

  1. Wow, we have so much in common. Interesting meme! I'll do it in a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @mo ma ~ Truly? Cool! I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By Gosh Beth... I can hardly count past 3... but, for you I will:)
    Now let me get my counting blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @KK ~ Use your toes if you have to! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was wicked! You're a good sport. Loved it! You're right. We do have a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are all wonderful! Creme d'la creme!

    Plato is right about that.

    My best to you Beth, thanks for the well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. jim ~ Ah ... here you are. Glad to see you again!

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin