Barking Mad, I Am




“Humor is reason gone mad.” ~Groucho Marx, American Comedian & Actor

I was half-heartedly watching
Nashville Star last night with Big K (my musical eldest child – musical child … musical show) when, during a commercial break, the network ran an extremely fast promo for this Dateline NBC show that was to follow our program. (Click that link and the rest of this will make sense.)

As I was only partially listening to the programming to begin with - the advertisements held even less of my interest. I heard something about towers and dogs and death. I don’t know. What I did hear was the voice of my child and then, of course, motherhood obliges me to respond. It’s late. I’m tired. I have a bizarre sense of humor anyway. This is what happens:

Big K: Mom.
Me: Hmmmm?
Big K: What is a Tower Dog?
Me: Someone who climbs towers and …
(long pause here for my brain that wasn’t paying attention to attempt to formulate some sort of answer) … barks.

At this response Big K dissolves into uncontrollable fits of laughter which are highly contagious and, while I do crack myself up on a regular basis, I start laughing because of how hard he is laughing and we both sit there for five minutes with tears streaming down our cheeks. We giggle. We laugh. We guffaw. We cackle. We cackle harder. Panting, we both slowly … very slowly … calm down. Sigh. Pause.

Big K: I love you, mom.

Oh yeah! It is good to be me.

6 comments:

  1. It is indeed good to be you, and I am glad you are the one who knows it best. Anyhow, what is a tower dog, really?

    I expect you have stumbled across this source of quotes already, but I just found it:

    Bill's wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Click on the 'Dateline NBC' link in my blog. The concept of the Tower Dog is explained quite fully.

    Thank you for 'Bill's Wisdom' too. I did not have that one! :o) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. interesting. I have bene looking for a new career anyhow. Would they have me though?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing better than laughing to tears, except maybe laughing to tears with your kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. He is a teenager now too. I get my love and laughs where I can when it comes to him.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin