Bloginiscing




I did not intend to spend part of this weekend reminiscing through old blog entries, but I finally decided to go salvage my old stuff from Yahoo 360 and MySpace so that I have them for future reference. So, there you have it. I found myself doing more then just copy … paste … copy … paste … save. I started to read. Reminiscence came with the reading.

Two years ago this week I was wrapped up in World Cup Soccer 2006 and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest was premiering in theaters. Italy won the World Cup and now I have to wait for South Africa 2010 before that event takes place again. And, well, the second installment of Pirates of the Caribbean left me wishing the third one was not a full year away. Of course, that moment has now come and gone.

One year ago this week I was devouring the book
Captivating. This simple book did a lot to restore some much needed self-esteem and it shows through the course of entries I copied.

I started blogging on Valentine’s Day, February 14, 2006. Why? Not a clue. Why not? I have been sharing bits about my life online ever since. There were some sporadic months. Most notably were the months preceding and during my divorce. I was still writing quite prolifically but I kept most of those to myself.

Well, here I am. Two and a half years later and I am still writing. Still blogging. Maybe someday I will have a reason to go bloginiscing again. Until then, I bring you one of my prior entries on this very subject … reminiscing that is.

"With memory set smarting like a reopened wound, a man's past is not simply a dead history, an outworn preparation of the present: it is not a repented error shaken loose from the life: it is a still quivering part of himself, bringing shudders and bitter flavors and the tinglings of a merited shame." ~George Eliot, Middlemarch

Reminiscing

Reminisce: to recall past experiences, events, etc.; indulge in reminiscence.

Do you reminisce? Come on . . . admit it . . . even the most stoic and unemotional individual takes a few moments to remember from time to time. I don't fall into reminiscence nearly as much as I used to in my life. I guess I'm just a little too jaded. Or, perhaps, I feel guilty because it does seem indulgent: as a single mother I should be doing something more productive with my time. It does take time, well - in my case it does. For me there is no such thing as a 'moment' of reminiscence. The act of remembering, for me, becomes an endeavor. It involves pictures and letters and yearbooks and mementos. Yes, I'm one of those. I have it all and this weekend every bit of it managed to find it's way into my living room. (There are some of you who should be glad I don't have a scanner readily accessible as I found some decent blackmail material lurking at the bottom of my photo boxes.)

Yes, this weekend I did reminisce but I had to proceed with caution and a guarded mindset. I find reminiscing to be a slightly dangerous pursuit if not approached with caution. One can get caught up in the past and the eternal "what if?" questions. However, reminiscing as a whole can also be healthy. It reminds us of who we are. It reminds us of where we come from. It reminds us that there are those who still care for us just as we care for them . . . regardless of how long you may have been apart.

So take some time to remember someone this week. You might be surprised to find out they remember you too. (Originally posted: February 26, 2007)

“I guess a memory is never finished as long as you are alive.” ~Before Sunset, Film (2004)



3 comments:

  1. I've been going through the posts, putting on labels.

    Oh, and not exactly Reminiscence, but a quote about well, here.

    "Nostalgia is deception wrapped in sentiment. Nostalgia is a ghostly lover dressed in a lovely, old-fashioned gown, who beckons you to dance with her, to make love to her… and then she turns into a hideous mummified ghoul who rips your throat out with her teeth and blood gushes and the screaming, my God, the screaming… That is nostalgia."--Dave Campbell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through this blog last week and did my labels. Tedious.

    Love, love, love, love that quote! Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it beautiful how I can close my eyes and feel the wind on my face as I sit beside the window in my 4th floor Std8 class or how I can hear my mother's laugh when I miss her company (yeah, this big man misses his mommy and isnt afraid to admit it)

    But it is also kind of sad when I remember how I got bullied in high school (2 yrs younger than everyone in my class and completely naive.still havent forgiven my parents) or other memories best forgotten.

    The mind is such a vast, unfathomable thing.

    And some people still believe in Darwin's Theory.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin