I do not just write ...



… I also have this little hobby.

“Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself . . .” ~Samuel Butler, The Way of All Flesh



These are mere portions of each work although they are all individual animal portraits. I had to crop them into squares for the mosaic maker to work so the full effect is lost. Still, I think you get the idea. My signature (with maiden name) is visible on the waterbuck. The other three are a lion cub, a leopard and a crested (or crowned) crane. It has been many, many a year since I have put pen on paper to make a small black dot and from that dot
stippled my way to a full piece of art. I guess it is art. Yes, it has been many years. I do not even know if I still possess the ability.

“Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.” ~Oscar Wilde, Irish Dramatist


3 comments:

  1. I'm quite sure you still possess the ability to do the dots. It's the ability to sit still and focus on it for hours at a time that may have atrophied, I'm guessing.

    No, not that. I bit you still have the concentration. But will you allow yourself to spend time on it? We expect a payoff from our labours and the older we get the more alternative uses of our time we can find and we intuitively evaluate them as to which will be the most rewarding.

    They are lovely drawings of course, but is that enough to make it worth while to take it up again now? And could you recapture today the feeling that accompanied their execution then? Beth bent over her work, dreaming of a golden future painted on the blank paper of her adult life ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your drawings and finding these excellent bookend quotes.

    I'm going to include the delightful Whitman quote to my blog soon. It's too good to overlook. Where does it come from? Which poem?

    "Stranger, if you passing me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?"
    Walt Whitman

    That quote fits my educational and social philosophy. Perhaps it should also join my website www.compellingconversations.com . We'll see.

    Again, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. eric ~ Here is the link to the quote on Bartleby (great website): http://www.bartleby.com/142/13.html

    It is one of my favorites as I perceive all "strangers" to be future friends. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin