Monday Mosaic #4 - Scent


“But soft, methinks I scent the morning air.” ~Shakespeare

My children are obsessed with favorites. What is your favorite color? Favorite food? Most favored possession? Do you have a favorite book? Favorite car? It is an endless cycle of inquiries. They are also quite adept at conjuring hypothetical questions to help ferret out what would be a favorite should I not provide them with an immediate answer. Questions like, “If you could give up one of your senses, what would it be?” I remember asking that question myself as a child and yet … I have never been able to answer it. I am rather fond of my senses: sight, hearing, taste, smell, touch. I do not want to lose any of them.

Today, I bring you a few of my favorite scents …

1) Cinnamon; 2) Salty Ocean Air; 3) Coffee; 4) Fresh Cut Grass; 5) Lemons; 6) Cilantro; 7) Dark Chocolate; 8) Rain; 9) Books

“Nothing is more memorable than a smell. One scent can be unexpected, momentary and fleeting, yet conjure up a childhood summer beside a lake in the mountains...” ~Diane Ackerman, American Writer


4 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful, how a scent can bring on a memory of a time, place or person? Like a flood of images and feelings, all from a simple sniff.

    Lovely mosaic.

    And wonderful choices! I second every last one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the smell of coffee, too. When at the grocery I walk very slowly down the coffee aisle to breathe in as much aroma as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a kid, I figured I could most do without sight, preferring to hear voices, feel my way, keep my pleasure of food and aroma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the baking bread smell, plus all of your smells listed. I also like strange smells like gasoline and smoke. Wow, great post!

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin