Monday Mosaic #6 – Flowers in the Dark


I have several mosaics made and ready to post. This way I can allow my mood-driven self to choose what I am craving to see on Monday morning. Today, however, I showed the mosaics to my boys and let them choose. And so – we have flowers that I love … many of which are indigenous to the equatorial climate that I miss so dearly. I wish I could successfully grow my own flowers, but I know the tragedy of not having a “green thumb” and so I have greenery and color in my home that can not be killed. Fake. They are fake and, of course, do not have the charm of a lovely scent. On rare occasions I splurge and purchase flowers. More often I will pick my own wildflowers when I can find them.

"I love to smell flowers in the dark," she said. "You get hold of their soul then." ~Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne’s House of Dreams




1) I adore wildflowers (center). While an immaculately manicured flower garden has a charm of its own, there is something magical about cresting a hill and encountering a field of multiple random colors punctuated by the flitter of butterflies. Beautiful.

I will start at the top left corner and work clockwise around the mosaic.

2) Hibiscus. So many
colors and varieties. Lovely.

3) Bird of Paradise. Yes, I have fake versions of this beautiful flower in my home.

4) Bleeding Heart. Obvious why it has this name, isn’t it? My boys have chosen this as their favorite.

5)
Bottlebrush. Bee magnet it is. Trust me.

6) Bouganvilla. I can not describe how much I love this plant. I have seen the vine overtake entire trees and hang like a draping curtain of color from the branches.

7) Jacaranda Trees. When the
blooms of this plant fall from the tree the ground resembles a lush purple carpet. Totally fabulous! They are all over Kenya … including the city of Nairobi.

8) Amaryllis. So beautiful.

9) Sunflowers just beg to be loved.

10) Snapdragons. These were my absolute favorite flower as a child and my mother had many different colors planted in the flower beds around our home.

11) This is the bloom of the Passion Fruit. Read
the story behind the flower.

12)
Frangipani. The leaf of this tree looks like a camel foot. Interesting, huh?

13) Daisy! Simple. Stunning!

“The earth laughs in flowers.” ~e.e. cummings





3 comments:

  1. Daisies, my fave!

    I think some day, when the kids are older, perhaps then...then I'll be able to keep live plants from being picked/tortured to their deaths? Maybe?

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin