Synchronized Strangers



“Everyone has a gripping stranger in their lives, Andy, a stranger who unwittingly possesses a bizarre hold over you. Maybe it's the kid in cut-offs who mows your lawn or the woman wearing white shoulders who stamps your book at the library - a stranger who, if you were to come home and find a message from them on your answering machine saying, "Drop everything. I love you. Come away with me now to Florida," you'd follow them.” ~Douglas Copeland

Strangers. I have not oft met a stranger … at least no one remains a stranger around me for very long. Give me a few minutes and you will feel like you have known me your whole life. Still, have you ever passed by someone on the street or made eye contact with someone across a crowded restaurant and had that instantaneous connection that made you want to run away with them forever? I have. Weird, it is. I will not call it Love as I do not believe in Love at first sight … but there is undeniably something between you … something more than just raw physical attraction. Chemistry. You are momentarily held in their grip and though you may never see them again the encounter is strong enough to be stored away in a special memory compartment reserved specifically for those rainy days when you need to remember that someone, somewhere … if only for a moment … was completely in sync with you.

7 comments:

  1. Incredible as the experience is, I've been forced to come to the same conclusion: chemistry - and just chemistry.

    That is, I think it's the psychological aspect of what's been working to get people together to reproduce ever since we were invented.

    So I don't really think there's such thing as a love that's romantic. But I think it's possible to have the chemistry thing going at the same time that you have the love thing going.

    I'm a regular love pharmacist today, lol.

    I'm currently posting on love myself, guess that's what has me going on this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to see you again Paul! I agree whole-heartedly on the concept that love of everyone is an awareness not a feeling. I stopped by earlier and read your latest post! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. I actually married this person. Honestly. We had that crazy, instantaneous connection when we first encountered one another. It was a boutique where I was working. He left and I thought I'd never see him again. He came back looking for me, and I wasn't there. He thought he'd never see me again. He came back a third time, I was there. Three months later we were engaged. And we're actually still married.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic story. I'm such a hopeless romantic when it comes to those sort of tales!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Projection, direct reflection of what you would, but not what you should.

    Escape, romanticized and exaggerated, real to you but not forever, and you know it.

    That is not a downer, that is our reality, that we would escape our reality. Better to know that than to avoid knowing it.

    Hope this don't irk you Beth, just my thoughts as if it was me, not you. Forgive me not saying it better or more appropriately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jim ~ I am not irked. Why should I be? Are our scribblings not published in a public format for personal reflection and to induce conversation among strangers?

    'Tis escape, indeeed. I would not claim otherwise ... romanticism at its best. Introduction would ruin the mystique for me.

    I can, however, appreciate those stories (like meaghan's) where the stranger became a lover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgive me again, sometimes I think I am the only one who knows something, stupid of me. I should have read the title of the piece, great post Beth.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin