Thinking About Not Thinking




“Insomnia is a gross feeder. It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking.” ~Clifton Fadiman, American Intellectual

The inability to sleep is back. One week. I managed one week of sleep. Granted, it was on my sofa, but at least I was sleeping. Alas, that blessed time has come to an abrupt halt.

“A
flock of sheep that leisurely pass by
One after one; the sound of rain, and bees
Murmuring; the fall of rivers, winds and seas,
Smooth fields, white sheets of water, and pure sky -
I've thought of all by turns, and still I lie
Sleepless...”

~William Wordsworth, "To Sleep"

Bloody insomnia.

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain....I have had insomnia since I was 14. I get a lot of reading done in the wee hours. I have fallen asleep on my sofa and am convinced it is made of morphine...I lay down on it and I fall asleep, even if for only a little while. Unfortunately it is not as comfy as my bed. (for reading)I wish you sleep and sweet dreams....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once I used to operate in the days with very little sleep, I had kids to be responsible for, a job, and now, now I still have responsibilities but it is lighter than when those were children, I know the burden. Takes faith and patience and perseverance and memory and...you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "And if tonight my soul may find her peace in sleep, and sink in good oblivion, and in the morning wake like a new-opened flower then I have been dipped again in God, and new-created" - D.H. Lawrence


    I hope sleep finds you soon Beth!

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin