Explosions & Ugly Knights



There I was … cruising down the interstate on a mere five mile stretch of highway in the midst of my fifteen mile commute between work and home. I was minding my own business. Driving the speed limit due to heavy rain and wet roads (Shock! I know!). Grooving to my iPod. Pondering what to make for dinner. BOOM! The words “flat tire” are so inadequate. Tire explosion. My tire exploded. Plain and Simple.

Great. Now what?

“I've always supported myself. I like the sense of knowing exactly where I stand financially, but there is a side of me that longs for a knight in shining armor.” ~Barbara Feldon, American Actress

I refuse to be totally helpless but, dang it, I could not find the jack in the stupid mini-van. A quick phone call to my father and I discovered the stupid thing hiding underneath the passenger seat. So, I was able to get the vehicle off the ground and was working on releasing the spare tire from bondage when the cavalry arrived: The Arkansas Highway Department.

Two gentlemen graciously completed the task of changing the tire on my vehicle and then followed me the remaining two miles to the interstate exit to make sure I was able to get off the freeway and to a tire center safely.

Chivalry is not dead … even if it falls within the job description.

So, here is a big SHOUT OUT and THANK YOU to the Arkansas Highway Department and two of the ugliest knights in even uglier bright orange safety vests ever.

6 comments:

  1. Chivalry rocks. Glad they came to your rescue. No woman--or person--can do EVERYTHING alone, even if it often feels like we're required to. In your attempts to change the tire, I hope you didn't chip a nail. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. meaghan ~ LOL! No chipped nails ... only really wet and dirty clothing. Ugh. Still, I'm not complaining as I didn't have to do the really hard part! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the passing blokes probably thought .. sheesh, not another useless female .. heh

    ReplyDelete
  4. s'long as you lived to tell the story:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a certain charm to ugliness in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. davo ~ They may have been thinking it ... until they pulled up and realized I was one step ahead. Yay me! :o)

    kk ~ I wondered when the thing blew, but yes - I lived.

    bob ~ Ugliness is subjective. There is a charm in unique characteristics. I do love ruggedness and many women do not. Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin