Living An 'Accomplished' Life



Accomplished
[ac•com•plished] {uh-kom-plisht}
-adejective
1. completed; done; effected: an accomplished fact.
2. highly skilled; expert: an accomplished pianist.
3. having all the social graces, manners, and other attainments of polite society.

~www.dictionary.com


Society, past and present, places much emphasis on one being accomplished. An individual is expected to have some measure of success in one’s life in order to be considered a valuable human being. The problem with this concept is that accomplishments come in a wide variety of forms and success, in the eyes of varying subjects of society, is highly subjective.

One does not have to have a high paying salary and drive the most expensive car on the market to be accomplished.

“It is by what we ourselves have done, and not by what others have done for us, that we shall be remembered in after ages.” ~Francis Wayland, American Educator

Karen is a single mother raising an impeccably mannered three year old son while attending college and holding down a job. Accomplished.

Jordan spent much of his youth wandering and landed in prison for drug trafficking. Once back in society he changed his life. He is now a supervisor of his own crew and working for a company responsible for laying hundreds of miles of fiber-optic cable. Accomplished.

Ruth lives in a small hut made of mud and clay in a third world country. She has no children of her own, but has adopted three children orphaned by her sister who died of AIDS. She makes her living selling vegetables out of a small garden and raising a few chickens … but all the children are fed and she has kept them in school. Accomplished.

How do you define accomplishment?

“It is time for us to stand and cheer for the doer, the achiever, the one who recognizes the challenge and does something about it.” ~Vince Lombardi, American Football Coach

3 comments:

  1. When you meet someone new, invariably the first question asked is: "So...what do you DO?" This has long been a real peeve for me, like what you do defines you in some way. Most people equate "work" with accomplishment. I just don't think that way.

    I think enjoying life to the fullest is the greatest accomplishment, everything else fades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do I define accomplishment? I suppose I try a new definition each day when I wake up. It seems a very natural way to live: to work on existing skills, to respond to the circumstances in which I find myself; to appreciate; to find a way to make a contribution to the world which has nurtured me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lisa ~ Bravo!

    vincent ~ I wish everyone saw the world as you do in many ways. I, too, work on one day at a time.

    We are all accomplished. We are all unique.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin