Living a 'Confident' Life




Confidence
[con•fi•dence] {kon-fi-duhns}
–noun
1. full trust; belief in the powers, trustworthiness, or reliability of a person or thing: We have every confidence in their ability to succeed.
2. belief in oneself and one's powers or abilities; self-confidence; self-reliance; assurance: His lack of confidence defeated him.
3. certitude; assurance: He described the situation with such confidence that the audience believed him completely.
~www.dictionary.com


“Do you want to know what's really beautiful? Confidence. Do you want to know what's really powerful? Persistence. Do you want to know what's really sexy? (Please, I know about sexy.) Not needing to be needed … And if still "they" don't notice your good looks, your strength, and your sashay... could you feel more sorry for them?” ~Mike Dooley, Notes from the Universe


Confidence
Oppressed with sin and woe,
A burdened heart I bear,
Opposed by many a mighty foe;
But I will not despair.

With this polluted heart,
I dare to come to Thee,
Holy and mighty as Thou art,
For Thou wilt pardon me.

I feel that I am weak,
And prone to every sin;
But Thou who giv'st to those who seek,
Wilt give me strength within.

Far as this earth may be
From yonder starry skies;
Remoter still am I from Thee:
Yet Thou wilt not despise.

I need not fear my foes,
I deed not yield to care;
I need not sink beneath my woes,
For Thou wilt answer prayer.

In my Redeemer's name,
I give myself to Thee;
And, all unworthy as I am,
My God will cherish me.
~Anne Bronte

“I was always looking outside myself for strength and confidence, but it comes from within. It is there all the time.” ~Anna Freud, Daughter of Sigmund Freud

5 comments:

  1. Good quotes. I notice that the last one uses the words confidence and strength interchangeably.

    Although it's just semantics regarding how one chooses to use the words "confidence" and "strength," I think the distinction Freud makes is important. So I tend to use the words differently: "confidence" in situations where I'm relying on something apart from, hmm... what I'd probably want to call my relationship with God.

    So for example, if I have well-developed skills for performing a certain task, I'll feel confident. And I'd also use that word for a sense of reliance on something or someone outside myself.

    But real strength - strength to cope with something that maybe can never be "fixed" or solved - I find the source of that to be more profound than confidence.

    "Confidence" I identify more with reasons and probabilities. If I studied for the test, practiced, played with this tennis partner and won before... confidence to me comes from rational considerations. Inner strength is something I identify closely with faith and spiritual life.

    There's psychological strength as well, but get hit by something hard enough and long enough and I'm pretty sure that any personality that doesn't become aware of more to him or herself than his or her own limited personality and coping mechanisms will be overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul ~ 'Tis always lovely to have a visit and read your insights! Personally, I agree with you on the differentiation between confidence and personal strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." HDT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard for me to say more, be confident in who you are, even as you grow, remember both all the time.

    I like the Bronte poem, and agree, and Anna Freud said it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second your agreement with Paul, Beth, on that differentiation, and Paul is right I think that a personal psychology can be very delicate.

    I forgot to check the little email box, oh me!

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin