Monday Mosaic #7 – Librophiliac

“Be a little careful about your library. Do you foresee what you will do with it? Very little to be sure. But the real question is, ‘What it will do with you?’ You will come here and get books that will open your eyes, and your ears, and your curiosity, and turn you inside out or outside in.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson, American Poet

I am a librophiliac. I come by it naturally. My mother is a librarian and an overall lover of books and the written word. Thank you to
this site for the amazing photographs I have used along with many, many, many more. Take a look. It is wonderful. I would so adore going on a tour of the greatest libraries in the world.



1. Vatican Library, Vatican City, Italy
2. Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library, Toronto, Canada
3. Russian National Library, St. Petersburg, Russia
4. Queens College Library, Oxford, England
5. Old British Reading Room, British Museum, London, England
6. Melk Monastery Library, Melk, Austria
7. Herzog August Library, Welfenbuttel, Germany
8. George Peabody Library, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
9. Cathedral Library, Kalocsa, Hungary
10. Chethams Library, Manchester, England
11. Casanatense Library, Rome, Italy
12. Bibliotheque Nationale de France, Paris, France
13. Biblioteca Geral University of Combria, Portugal
14. Biblioteca de Bella Arti, Milan, Italy
15. Angelica Library, Rome, Italy
16. Abbey Library St. Gallen, Switzerland

“Book lovers will understand me, and they will know too that part of the pleasure of a library lies in its very existence.” ~Jan Morris, British Travel Writer


9 comments:

  1. Look up The City Library in Salt Lake City, Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh! I do love beautiful libraries! I can almost smell the paper and bindings. Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos, and for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I just levitated out of my chair! I LOOOOOOVE libraries! So much knowledge, so little time......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been a big fan of libraries, since I was a child. I've always loved books. I think a place that holds books, music and films which I can borrow free for long period of time...heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. z ~ I think the Salt Lake Library is included in the link. I'll have to double check.

    pat ~ You came back!! I adore the smell of books too.

    bg ~ I, too, practically levitated the first time I clicked on that link. SO WORTH IT!

    lisa ~ I do love libraries. Too bad I live in a town with a poor little public library with practically nothing in it. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Beth,

    I am finally starting to find my way around your blog and I love it.

    I'll be checking in. Hope all is well.

    SM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Shanel! Glad to see you. New friendships are, indeed, a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And, Behold and Lo! Here I am again! When I posted my last comment, I had fully intended to ask you if you've read A Gentle Madness by Nicholas Basbanes. It's about libraries and books. I used to chat with this very nice person in an AOL chat room I co-hosted (1996-1999) "The Book Report." He has a nice website www.nicholasbasbanes.com.

    ReplyDelete
  9. pat ~ I haven't, but now I look forward to it. Sounds right up my alley. I love book suggestions.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin