Dust in the Wind





I have to drive down a dirt road to get to the Arkadelphia Youth Sports Complex. I know. I live in Nowhereville, AR. I am reminded of this every time I am required to eat dirt while going to/from Little K’s soccer practices and games. Today the dust seemed particularly offensive to me and I was on the verge of truly complaining when I suddenly realized that, if I am griping about dusty roads, I have been in America for FAR too long … the land of the paved road leading practically anywhere and everywhere I could possibly need to go … with, of course, the one noticeable exception of the sports complex. In my dreams I would gladly trade these highways for the red dust of the Rift Valley. As this would take a miracle these dreams truly are dust in the wind.

I close my eyes
Only for a moment and the moment's gone
All my dreams
Pass before my eyes, a curiosity
Dust in the wind
All they are is dust in the wind

~Kansas

1 comment:

  1. Ah, the beautiful red loam soil... how I miss it... most of all, I miss the earthy, wonderful scent of it when it first starts raining.

    I remember when I first REALLY saw (when I was old enough to appreciate) the Rift Valley on the route from Nairobi to Naivasha. There's a point where you drive out of a forest and it suddenly opens up on one side... no preparation, just BAAAAM the land pours away magnificently on your right. It is one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin