Lord, it is raining. Where is my ark?




It’s raining. The flood waters are rising rapidly and I can’t see my ark … yet. I know it will be here. I do. It always comes. Sometimes I have to build it myself and sometimes it appears, miraculously, at the last possible moment. In all actuality, it’s usually not an ark. I’m not that lucky. That doesn’t mean I’m not important. On the contrary … I still get rescued which indicates that I am worthy, but my liberation normally comes in the form of something resembling a dinghy or a rowboat … just adequate enough to get me through the imminent threat. Still, I’d love an ark.


I’m amused by my internal faith struggle regarding this particular topic. On average, I feel like as though the skies open up and every dilemma known to mankind rains down upon my head about every three months. If I am lucky … six months; it is normally a much shorter time frame. I anticipate it now and try to live with faith strong enough that my ark is always there … perpetually biding its time until I need it again, but I doubt. Somehow I always end up losing that focus until I find myself dog-paddling in the deep end and looking for the prow of any sort of floating vessel. In fact, I have probably grabbed on to driftwood from time to time. It still saved me, didn’t it? I’m still here … waiting for the next downpour … losing sight of the fact that this will pass and I will not drown despite the fact that I’m not a strong swimmer. Rescue always comes. Still, it would be nice if my raft (if that is all I am to get) showed up sooner than later this time.

Psalm 69
1) Save me, O God; for the waters are come in unto my soul. 2) I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing: I am come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me. 3) I am weary of my crying: my throat is dried: mine eyes fail while I wait for my God. 4) They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of mine head: they that would destroy me, being mine enemies wrongfully, are mighty: then I restored that which I took not away …

…13) But as for me, my prayer is unto thee, O LORD, in an acceptable time: O God, in the multitude of thy mercy hear me, in the truth of thy salvation.14) Deliver me out of the mire, and let me not sink: let me be delivered from them that hate me, and out of the deep waters. 15) Let not the water flood overflow me, neither let the deep swallow me up, and let not the pit shut her mouth upon me. 16) Hear me, O LORD; for thy loving kindness is good: turn unto me according to the multitude of thy tender mercies.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed that, keep your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your faith is strong, Beth. Maybe sometimes that's the raft.

    "We are intrepid."

    "This too shall pass."

    Hang on.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin