Nothing is More Necessary than the Unnecessary





I love being around my kids. You want to know why (other than the obvious fact that I’m their mother and I love them dearly)? When my children are around … absolutely everything is unpredictable. It brings a joy into my life that is sorely lacking from any other avenue.

You see ... I have the most incredibly random children on planet earth. You may argue with me that your children are funny and witty; I’m sure they are, but not like mine. Witnesses would agree with me. I wish everyone could have some sort of exposure with my kids.

“A little nonsense every now and then is relished by the wisest men.” ~Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Film (1971)

Big K is thirteen and, yes, is beginning to exhibit some attitude. He’s also developed a wonderful sense of dripping sarcasm (Of course, I have no idea where he obtained that particular trait. In all sincerity, both parents can be blamed for that one.), an astounding vocabulary which he uses to the fullest capacity and an overall amazing understanding of the nuances of the English language. Unfortunately, his good use of language means he’s extremely adept at playing semantics, but I digress. I often ask my children to remind me of things. All mothers know we give our brain cells to our kids at birth. I’ve learned to clarify every detail of my requests. I can no longer ask Big K to, “remind me to take the trash out in the morning,” because his immediate response will be, “take the trash out in the morning.” I know. It’s happened and he didn’t look up from his homework or miss a beat. The first time it happened I was torn between popping him in the back of the head for being sassy and congratulating him on being so quick-witted. Congratulations won. However, I now rectify my statements to eliminate such occurrences. They now sound similar to, “Big K – Remind me after I wake you up in the morning that I need to take the trash out before the garbage man comes.” Specifics … they are a necessity. In addition to our constant word play, it’s just plain cool to have a kid old enough to watch certain movies with you and actually enter into intellectual conversations about what he has seen … a kid who can read a novel and discuss finer plot points … a kid who is getting dangerously close to being able to beat me at Scrabble. I will now apologize in advance to any adult he meets in the future and stumps with his words or attitude. Just blame me … I tend to encourage him.

“It takes time to be funny. It takes time to extract joy from life.” ~Elizabethtown. Film (2005)

Little K. Well, where do I start with Little K? He’s eight and, by his own admission, insane. Truly. In fact, he habitually runs up to me while I’m on the phone and hollers, “I’m insane!” into the mouthpiece and subsequently startling the crap out of whoever is on the other end. Those who converse with me on a regular basis are pretty much prepared for it. I keep threatening to write a book titled “Little K-isms” because he is so incredibly random and I can never account for the things that come out of his mouth. He has told me that he was going to, “learn me how to throw a log” after watching the caber toss at the Scottish festival one year. He was three. One day he told me he was going to be a “toilet tester” when he grew up. Don’t even ask me about the “flying doomie-crash.” His wit and randomness are never ending and keep me in a state of great amusement while in his presence. One of his teachers told me what a joy he was to have in class. I smiled, thanked her and made some side comment about how random he is. “He is that!” she laughed. At least someone else appreciates his brilliance.

“Loosen up. Unbend. You’ll feel better.” ~She Done Him Wrong, Film (1933)

Again, those of you with kids know what I’m talking about. Those of you who have no children or, heaven forbid, you have boring children … yeah; you need to all come visit. Trust me; it will lighten your load in life.

“Nothing is more necessary than the unnecessary.” ~Life is Beautiful, Film (1997)

1 comment:

  1. Careful with the open invites... I just might take you up on it. They sound like they are fun to be around.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin