Spinning Our Own Fates




“We are spinning our own fates, good or evil, and never to be undone. Every smallest stroke of virtue or vice leaves its never-so-little scar.” ~William James

I think that somewhere along the fairway of my life I managed to step from the path and into a centrifuge type carnival … fair … amusement park ride. You know the ones. Everyone files into the circular ride and stands with back against the padded walls as the doors close and the ride begins to spin, slowly at first, but soon reaching such a velocity that even the movement of your head from side to side becomes difficult, impossible even. And, with human flesh plastered firmly against the wall, held in place by sheer momentum … the floor drops out … the ride tilts … all while spinning wildly faster and faster. Seemingly endless revolutions later the floor raises back into place and the ride begins to slow. Arms and legs, followed by heads and torsos, are peeled away from the padding as stability returns and the you go on about your merry way.

I am stuck in that ride … spinning rapidly … doing the same thing over and over again … the floor dropped out long ago … around and around I go. I am moving, but I am not getting anywhere. I am paralyzed by the centrifuge of circumstance.

“The world is like a ride in an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question: "Is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride." And we kill those people.” ~Bill Hicks

4 comments:

  1. you're bumming me out Beth and I don't need much help lately! :)

    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Beth, you seem to be on a downer lately. I really hope you are OK and things start to ease up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have been quite down. Apologies. It will all be okay eventually. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't apologise! We all probably need these times for one reason or the other. Perhaps they force us to prioritise... I don't really know. But things always change. Here's to you feeling more upbeat soon :)

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin